1 (Romantic Headcanons) (Shane Acker's 9)

TW: Post-Apocalyptic Environment, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - The designs for this film are a visual treat. I wish there was more of it.

Despite his reclusive nature and propensity for obscuring the truth in the name of safety, 1 expects unconditional honesty from his partner at all times. He demands that they report any findings and direct any questions to him before anyone else. 1 does not trust the rest of the group to tell them what he wants them to think, which is that the world is a hopelessly dangerous wasteland and the only haven lies with him. Because of this paranoia, he dictates that 8 inform him of any long conversations they have with the others.

1 forbids his partner from leaving whichever sanctuary the group happens to occupy, arguing that one of the other members can and should take their place in scouting expeditions. This preferential treatment is something that he denies in everyday talk and disguises as a byproduct of his self-proclaimed responsibility to protect the best interests of the team. It is most difficult to conceal when a machine assaults the base, for 1 is ready to sacrifice as many lives as needed to secure the getaway of himself and his partner.

If a secret or lie is exposed with his partner at the centre, 1 accuses every stitchpunk with a vague connection to them of corruption and conspiracy to inspire a rift in the relationship. He acts as if his partner is an innocent who lacks the sense and experience to know any better and requires instruction, while the others are blamed for taking advantage of their kindness and warned to keep their distance for the foreseeable future. 6 and 2 are liable to defy his ruling and interact with them once 1 turns his back, and 2 is outspoken about his concern for 1's authoritarian behaviour.

The free-spirited 7 learns of the situation through the whispers of 9 and 5 when the two visit during missions, and she tracks down his partner to offer them asylum. 7 speaks of freedom and promises that they will never have to spend another day in the company of 1. These accommodations collapse as soon as 1 suspects the involvement of 7, with the elder stitchpunk attempting to place his partner on lockdown and ordering 8 to augment his patrols.

It is 1's staunch belief that curiosity and knowledge are the enemies of a stable and reliable existence. In his idea of a perfect world, his partner knows as little as possible to keep them ignorant and in need of his guidance. He takes preemptive measures to steer them away from anything and anyone who may provoke questions that he neither can nor wishes to answer, as he desires to have his word seen as absolute and fears that too much introspection and contemplation will damage their willingness to comply with his rules.