Alberto Scorfano (Platonic Headcanons)

TW: Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Questo film ha un sacco di potenziale per le storie, quindi sto imparando l'italiano.

Alberto is quick to point out his friend's mistakes and how he would have approached the situation differently. Sparing their feelings is a pointless courtesy that hinders his ability to coach them, which Alberto is eager to do whether they ask for it or not. His overabundance of false information on humanity is presented as if it were gospel, and Alberto is prone to denying reality and shoving his fears of rejection onto his friend when they uncover his lies.

His lonely life on Isola del Mare, where the lights of Portorosso teased him night after night but his unlikely hope for his father's return dissuaded him from pursuing this wish, has soiled his opinion of both himself and the world. Alberto has come to not expect companionship from anyone and instead view all relationships as temporary, inevitably ending before he is ready and despite his attempts to prolong it. A familiar shade of abandonment is anticipated as soon as he, often in a fit of anger or jealousy, reveals his first flaw, so having a friend who stands by him is a shock to the sea monster.

Whether it is expressed in hidden glares or efforts to alienate his friend from others, Alberto's insistence on remaining the most important person in their life, a title that is more so a product of his attitude towards them than it is real evidence, is an obvious struggle to outside observers. He takes advantage of any hesitation or anxiety from his friend by speaking for them in conversations and reacting with defensive frustration if they protest. Alberto prides himself on the belief that the time he spent surviving with no one's company or help but his own has blessed him with an infallible understanding of their needs, and everything society offers that does not cater to his dreams of exploration are regarded as a distraction.

Indulging in these diversions is a type of recreation for Alberto. It not only allows him to forget any lingering pain about the early departure of his father but also satisfies his craving for life, which is a response to his lacklustre experience on the island. Collecting bits of trash that drift in the ocean and living vicariously through what trinkets he manages to swipe from fishermen are not adequate ways of solving this grief, and Alberto projects his discontent onto his friend by encouraging them to make rash decisions that upheave their world and enhance their dependence on his advice.