Tom Lucitor (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Mentions of Violence, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - This fireball's exact personality varies depending on what point in time we're talking about, but I tried to do a mix.

Platonic:

With his intimidating heritage and explosive abilities, the Prince of the Underworld has been restricted to the companionship of sycophants and servants. The prospect of a genuine friend is one that both excites and confuses him, for he has no idea what to expect from each interaction and fears a single mistake will lead to permanent rejection. Tom consults his life coach and follows every suggestion with reckless enthusiasm, having no frame of reference, aside from Star and Marco's complaints, for when to stop.

He expends most of his day in the presence of his friend to erase any potential skepticism about his dedication. When Brian informs him that friendships are strengthened by mutual interests, Tom takes this as an incentive to lie about his daily life and adapt his hobbies to better imitate theirs. Declining an offer to spend time with him results in the prince assuming that he has done something wrong, and his efforts to atone for this possibly imaginary misstep involve shoehorning himself into random parts of their schedule.

Utilizing his family's wealth and reputation, Tom grants as many wishes as his friend is willing to share. He intends to protect their happiness with his services, but his methods of removing stressors are ruthless and oftentimes myopic. Unbridled access to magic, such as teleportation and interdimensional mirrors, makes it insidiously easy to spy on his friend without any risks.

Romantic:

Tom understands the severity of his actions only to the extent that certain behaviour causes his partner to become upset with him. The code of ethics in his kingdom is alien to the rest of Mewni, for the use of violence to resolve conflict is a commonplace habit that afflicts most demons. While his jealousy is vibrant and intractable, Tom aims to distract both himself and his partner from his more regrettable moments with gifts and compliments.

He wants to believe that his anger management will allow him to bond with his partner. If his attempts fail or do not succeed well enough, which is the same thing in his mind, Tom ejects the worst of his frustrations onto the damned souls of the Underworld. Wrathmelior expresses concern for the quality of the relationship, but when her son assures her that the problem lies with others, she rallies various demons to torment the alleged culprits.

Spending his life in the company of demonic entities who have little regard for kindness has instilled more than a few identity issues. Tom is desperate to prove that he is not a slave to his wrath, but his impatience for this to be recognized and appreciated leads to outbursts that imply otherwise. The prince's dependence on his partner for emotional support is likely one-sided, a fact which he denies for the sake of his sanity.