Buzz Lightyear (Platonic & Romantic Headcanons)

TW: Implied Violence, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Slowly moving through the '90s and early 2000s.

Platonic:

As a Space Ranger, Buzz's primary goal is defending the citizens of the galaxy from evil. The exact definition of this 'evil' is broad and extends to everyone who jeopardizes the happiness and health of his friend, regardless of how trivial or well-meaning the alleged offence may be. Buzz believes that he appreciates all of their best interests and that his friend can be susceptible to manipulation, and therefore he needs to maintain a constant presence in their life to protect them from villains and opportunists.

When Buzz is unhappy with how someone interacts with his friend, he spares no time for mind games or silent brooding and is very direct in announcing this. He approaches the individual in question and expresses his complaints clearly and professionally, requesting that they either adjust their behaviour in the ways he has suggested or, if this is too difficult, refrain from speaking to his friend altogether. His actions are motivated neither by envy nor an explicit sense of superiority but rather a belief that their interactions bring unnecessary stress and instability to his friend's life.

Romantic:

Buzz closely monitors his partner's relationships with others, not out of jealousy but to ensure that they are not being mistreated or exploited. The Space Ranger is not the most adept at reading social cues, but he is prone to intervening whenever his partner indicates displeasure with a situation or person. He attempts to act as a bodyguard who escorts them on all their outings and blocks anyone or anything that seems suspicious to him from coming near.

His limited understanding of jokes and sarcasm, especially when it is of the negative or disparaging variety, can prove troublesome for his partner if they like to cope with emotional distress through humour. One cynical or agitated comment about someone that is suggestive of ill will may provoke Buzz into thinking that they are a threat or common enemy, and any self-deprecating notions are met with an overabundance of attention that eliminates the possibility of free time and privacy. The value for security that defines every great Space Ranger takes control, prompting Buzz to investigate and possibly confront any who he deems a bad influence on his partner.