Wander & Lord Hater (Polyromantic Headcanons)

Warnings: Implied violence & death, mentions of electrocution, emotional manipulation, toxic mindsets.

A.N. - I dove into this concept headfirst and have yet to resurface.

Hater is seized by violent repugnance when his nemesis first suggests that they share a partner, but this antipathy is not present in Wander. The Star Nomad interrupts an invasion or a battle with another villain to ask what type of sandwiches he should bring to the date next week. He reacts to the skeleton's expression of revulsion with laughter and smiles, vowing that the outcome will change his attitude.

Dates with Hater are infiltrated by Wander either pretending to be late or forgiving the skeleton for forgetting to invite him, while dates with Wander are hijacked by an infuriated Hater itching to vaporize the chosen planet. Neither appreciates being excluded from what they deem to be important conversations, whether it is private or features a topic that is irrelevant to them. Hater is inclined to suspect the sly hand of Wander rather than any fault of himself, whereas Wander amplifies his courting tactics to try to earn the right to be included.

Where Hater responds to conflict with threats of planetary eradication, Wander offers concerned advice that evolves into invasive behaviour when rejected. The Star Nomad stresses that electrocuting every unfortunate soul who is near to their partner is not the best way to obtain their affection, but the skeleton dismisses his warnings as elaborate forms of manipulation. Hater complains that Wander is attempting to demoralize him and sully his villainous image in the eyes of their partner.

Wander refutes these accusations and insists that his criticism stems from a desire for mutual happiness, which activates Hater's paranoia and disdain for sacrificing attention. The skeleton convinces himself that Wander aims to sabotage the relationship through acts of kindness, leading to an abrupt increase in gifts and vigilance from Hater. Watchdog patrols escort their partner around the galaxy, but Wander still manages to visit them thanks to Sylvia's passion for combat.

Both Star Nomad and skeleton encounter disapproval from their colleagues. Peepers fears that the tumultuous relationship is distracting his boss from the galactic conquest, a sentiment which reaps enraged shouts and bolts of electricity to the face. When Sylvia worries that his ventures in mediation are worsening the situation, Wander assures her that the tension will dissolve with enough time and effort.