Dr. Cockroach, The Missing Link & B.O.B. (Platonic Scenario - "Chain Gang")

TW: The Reader-Insert is an Eldritch Abomination, Reality Warping, Blood, Loss of Contact with Reality, Reckless Use of Firearms, Incarceration, Psychological/Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - This is much different than what I usually write (let me know what you think), but I was in the mood to celebrate the spooky season. Happy early Halloween/All Hallows' Eve/Samhain!

"You are a great listener!" exclaimed B.O.B., amazement intensifying and carrying his voice across the small expanse of the cell in a gentle echo. The space offered little improvement over a broom closet. It was impossible to stretch one's legs without curling against the opposite wall, yet B.O.B., for all his erratic shifts in destination, had not collided with you once.

The sensation of confinement that walls provided, the awareness of a barrier that could not be evaded, was usurped by a seemingly endless amount of room for the gelatinous mass to roam. He was always approaching a wall but never reached it. It bred the lasting expectation of a coarse, jagged material slamming into the body like a blunt knife, a reason for concern that was lost on his carefree chatter.

"Anyway, that's the story of my entire life in 1965." The gelatinous mass acquired a grim demeanour as if he were about to describe his time in the war. "Now, 1966 -- that was a year."

A frigidness clung to the air so tightly that it could be smelled, conjuring images of a meadow shortly after a rainstorm. The volume of your hums neither lowered nor increased no matter what direction he chose and how long he slid across the darkness.

B.O.B. had opened his abysmal mouth to recount his first day in the facility when he was interrupted by a thundering voice, one that maintained an infinite echo as if a horde of additional voices were repeating your words at slightly different intervals.

"You are a perplexing creature." The sound appeared to emanate from every direction with equal strength, and despite the bottomless shadows encasing the cell, B.O.B. was drawn to a particular spot. "That which would drive lesser beings mad is irrelevant to you."

Laughing without a glimmer of restraint, the gelatinous mass joked, "I do fancy myself a free-thinker." His attention leapt back to the previous subject like a frog bounding across lily pads. "And the first day I got here, I wasn't sure I was gonna make it! They wouldn't let me eat any of the cars, and none of the jello would give me a chance." He pretended to wipe the sweat off of his forehead.

"I mean, I'm not gonna lie." Quieting his voice to a whisper, B.O.B. criticized the facility and partially obscured his mouth with his hand as if there were microphones scattered around the cell. "They kinda dropped the ball." He retracted his arms into his gelatinous torso a moment later and shook back and forth with an expression of childlike joy. "But having you as a neighbour was a better birthday present than chocolate cake!"

Silence reigned for half a minute, and B.O.B. waited, watching the place that he believed was your location. Finally, your voice emerged as a detached observation. "What your dimension knows as life is a mere shade of the greater reality."

The gelatinous mass allowed his mouth to hang open for a couple of seconds before he looked around as if searching for people with whom to share his discovery. "You are an amazing conversation partner. I just -- no, I can't believe it." The cheerful and humorous tone of his voice never faded. "Usually, Link and the Doc would've walked off by now or started doing something else."

Releasing a gasp, he was overcome by alarm and rushed to the speck of light that peeked through the food slot in the cell door. "It's almost tomorrow! I gotta pretend I haven't been here all night, but-" B.O.B. proceeded to squeeze himself out of the slot and into the corridor "-same thing later?"