Jack Pumpkinhead (Platonic Headcanons)

TW: Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - My favourite Return to Oz character.

Jack sees his friend as a mentor and someone deserving of reverence after whom he should model his life and behaviour. He thinks of them like a child regards their parent, but Jack is fearful of scorn and only expresses this attachment via accidental terms of endearment and the instinct to find them when he is injured or frightened. This hesitancy to assert himself prevents Jack from employing more than a hit-or-miss approach to keeping them around, relying on the frailty of his body to garner sympathy and convince them that he needs supervision.

In moments of excitement, such as after his friend helps him repair himself or narrowly escapes from a dangerous encounter with Mombi or the Deadly Desert, Jack rambles about the personal importance of their friendship. He confesses to never having felt more connected to someone in hopes that his friend will reciprocate the affection and permit him to address them as a parental figure.

Jack has a feeble sense of independence and is far more comfortable with enabling his friend to, metaphorically or physically, hold his hand through life. He grows timid and indecisive whenever they leave his sight, fearing that some terrible accident will befall them and they will never return. Every journey, even a short walk from the Emerald City or a trip to the marketplace, is met with his request to accompany them.

For the innocent mind of Jack, the worst thing he could be is useless, and the worst crime he could be guilty of is appearing ungrateful for their companionship. Along with wanting his friend to always be in arm's reach so he can feel assured of their presence, Jack spares no opportunity to assist them in whatever task they may undertake. He gives his best efforts and is reluctant to admit any difficulties even if he has no idea how to do something, for his greatest worry is that his friend will decide to handle it themselves and deem him unworthy of their time.

Every word spoken to his friend is reconsidered and doubted for fear that an unknown complication will ambush him and ruin the exchange, potentially damaging the relationship by extension. Jack seeks not to inconvenience them and freely abandons his wellbeing and opinions if preserving them means endangering or contradicting his friend.