Reagan Ridley (Romantic Headcanons) (Inside Job)

TW: Cyberstalking, Mentions of Incarceration & Death, Emotional Manipulation, Toxic Mindsets.

A.N. - Trapped in office, surrounded by corruption, low on morals.

Scarcely a thing that Reagan does is not first deliberated and tested, mentally or physically, with the scientific method. In private where presumably no one can listen to or see her, she rehearses a multitude of conversations that she either wishes or expects to have with her partner in the future. The risk of allowing her excitement to get ahead of her mid-sentence and blurting something that upsets them is too great for the scientist to ignore.

When it comes time to apply what she practiced, Reagan is at a loss for how to approach them and hold a meaningful conversation that furthers the relationship. As a result, early interactions with her tend to be stilted and disorganized, with the scientist either creating an abrupt excuse to leave or falling into an awkward silence until her partner or another colleague ends it.

Reagan wants her partner to have a favourable opinion of her, but thanks to workaholic and perfectionist tendencies fueled by years of neglectful and manipulative treatment at the hands of her parents, her social skills are abysmal. Nevertheless, the scientist is, no matter how much she likes to deny it, desperate for their validation and seeks to attain it through the only mode she understands, her inventions.

Once she becomes more assertive, Reagan does not shed her prickly nature. The conversations that she initiates are dominated by explanations and, at times, demonstrations of her latest creations in hopes that her scientific prowess will gain their respect. A dismissive, or not sufficiently encouraging, attitude towards her accomplishments reminds her of her father, and it is the quickest way to inspire vengeful frustration in the scientist.

Noticing his best work friend's distress, Brett Hand offers to roleplay as her partner to help her grow more comfortable with speaking to them. Reagan opposes the idea of making herself so vulnerable to criticism and making Brett privy to such personal information. She rejects any direct assistance but occasionally asks for his opinion on the effectiveness of a method, and Brett supports what he believes to be a mutual relationship.

Reagan was neither taught nor properly learned how to manage the majority of her emotions in ways that are not self-destructive. Anger leads to brainstorming sessions about framing a murder as an accident, and sadness leads to binge eating and not leaving the couch for days. Envy, such as when her partner voices admiration for the feats of others, is an overwhelming experience that Reagan struggles to process.

The scientist's go-to coping mechanism is marking the offender for an extraction team, thereby condemning them to lifelong imprisonment at a shadow government black site. If the offender is an executive or a close colleague, however, Reagan concedes that they have a certain degree of immunity and settles for acting passive-aggressive and, assuming she can legally get away with it, exceptionally rude.

An unwilling ear is lent in the form of ROBOTUS, who is subjected to rants about failed attempts or people Reagen views as competition. The genocidal robot is apathetic to his creator's troubles and tunes out after a while, but he is inclined to hack into a perceived rival's private files and compromise the integrity of her partner's social media if she baits him with more of the television series Friends.

Reagan develops a profile of her partner, one that is constantly broadening as additional facts and theories are added. Government surveillance and online tracking are exploited to research every action, every piece of information they ever shared with the internet. Analyzing their digital footprint is, to her tech-savvy and borderline paranoid mind, the key to melding their preferences with hers and bonding with them most swiftly and proficiently.