Chapter 14: SCP-177

The group had returned from their tiring field mission of recapturing SCP-682, and were now being escorted by Athena to a testing chamber for an SCP, since Durham entrusted her with the testing and to document results. They were talking along the way to the testing chamber to pass the time.

"So, I've heard that you have been assigned to be under the 'Wolves Task Force'." Athena spoke, interested about the group's current state.

"Yeah, it's been kinda tough all of a sudden." Freddie replied. "Well, maybe because that would be because we have been under an actual task force and not a quick-reaction team."

"I thought there's a similarity between the two." Athena said, to which Freddie shook his head.

"No, not really." Freddie replied. "A quick-reaction team is just to assist in resecuring, and handling aftermath. We would only act if we were called on. An actual task force is a hands-on operation entirely, handling in resecuring and recontaining SCPs."

"Yeah, that reptile was a pain to deal with." Drista stretched her arms. "He's a really tough guy..."

"May I know what exactly happened?" Athena asked, curious.

"We were on him for at least an hour." Dustin answered. "Some of the Foundation agents brought a couple of D-Class personnel to help the situation."

"And the result?"

"It's just a bloodbath of people, Thea." Dustin answered. "Mostly the D-Class."

"Yeah, he kept on killing and eating the D-Class." Adrian added. "Took us a while to actually get things under control..."

"Really makes you feel bad for the D-Class." Drista added.

"Yeah, I get that, but they're criminals in death row." Dustin replied. "Sure it's not right, but it's just what the governments want."

"Anyways, veering back to the main topic, what exactly are we going to be doing, Athena?" Freddie asked, not wanting to talk about the mass killing of D-Class personnel that had happened yesterday.

"Well, it's fairly simple." Athena replied, trying her best to be vague. "All that's required is a little knowledge and wits."

"I see..." Freddie responded.

After a few more hallways and talking, the group eventually made it to the testing chamber of a certain SCP. Athena opened the testing chamber with her keycard and the group went inside.

The testing room was just a normal, spacious testing room. The group, except Athena, were a bit confused as to where the SCP could be.

"So, what SCP are we dealing with exactly?" Freddie asked Athena.

"Oh, it's over there." Athena pointed to the SCP.

The group looked to where Athena pointed. The SCP was in the centre of the testing room. It was a form of what seemed to be a regular chess board, sitting atop a table. There was a chair on the white side, but there isn't on the black side.

"That's the SCP we're dealing with?" Drista asked. "A chessboard?"

"Yeah, essentially..." Athena answered. "That chessboard is SCP-177, also known as... um..."

Everyone noticed Athena's speech trail off and they were concerned about her.

"Are you alright, Thea?" Dustin asked.

"What's wrong, Athena?" Freddie also asked.

"Um... Freddie, you're part German, right?" Athena asked.