Chapter 150: Ceasefire

"What the hell are we doing here?"

"Negotiations..."

A sufficient escort force, belonging to the GOC, we're now unloading from their transport jeeps. Those present were the ambassador, Hoplite One and Two, and a few other security teams.

They were at the assigned location for negotiations, Fort Howe. A sizeable fortress which was guarded by GOC and Foundation forces on rotation.

"You really think you can talk with them?" the commando asked the ambassador. "Just like that? You really think that this is gonna work?"

"That's why we're here, Edmund." the ambassador sighed. "Besides, this is the only chance I have to settle this matter peacefully... so try not to screw this one up for me."

"Fine, gotta make sure everything's secure anyway..." the commando turned towards his troops. "Hoplite Two, go with Zulu Five and Six, and scan the area for possible ambush points. If they're empty, then it's fair game."

"Yes, sir."

"Hoplite One, on me. We'll sort everything on the inside."

"Got it."

The ambassador overheard the commando's orders, but she willfully ignored them. She walked to a different transport jeep, currently carrying the two Foundation captives.

She knocked on the window, signalling the captives to lower it, in which Maccer did so.

"Hey, how're you two holding up?"

"Been better..." the Australian recruit sighed. "Especially the kid, he's had enough of all of this."

The ambassador looked over at the nervous recruit, who was blankly staring at his hands on his lap, his bruises still slightly noticeable.

"Just give us a few hours, then you'll be returned to the Foundation's care." the ambassador answered. "Until then, I don't want any trouble coming from you two."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever..." the Australian recruit rolled his eyes. "Just do whatever you have to..."

"Right..."

She then stepped away from the jeep and walked towards one of the guards, the head of the security detail.

"Hey, make sure they're secure." the ambassador told the guard. "I don't want any trouble coming from them... or anyone else that would attempt to motivate them."

"Yes, ma'am."

With that, she began to walk towards the fort, preparing herself for the negotiations.

As she walked, the commando, his right-hand man and the Norwegian operative walked past her without making any eye contact. She sighed at this, hoping that he wouldn't get himself in trouble before the negotiations start.

She looked around and she noticed the GOC leader of the fort talking to a few guards, so she walked over to him, getting his attention.

"Ah, Ambassador Castle..." he greeted. "You arrived on time, as expected of you."

"Wouldn't dare to miss something this impactful..." she replied. "Captain Lefebvre, yes?"

"That's me." he nodded. "The Foundation forces should be arriving shortly, but there's no harm in placing a few defenses, no?"

"Right... but nothing that would raise suspicion." the ambassador agreed. "However, I do have a favour to ask of you."

"What would that be, ma'am?"

"Could you... keep a close eye on my brother?" the ambassador asked. "I have a hunch that he would purposely ruin this negotiation for all of us... so if you'd be so kind."