Chapter 101: SCP-1074

"So you would assure me that this would be done, yes?"

"Don't worry, we'll handle everything, Doctor Gears. We'll get you the report as soon as possible."

With that note, the stoic doctor left the office. He wanted to test Durham and Athena's reliability, by tasking them to experiment with a cognitohazardous SCP.

Almost immediately, the two began to organise their required materials, in preparation for the upcoming experiment.

"What else do we need, Jaina?" Athena asked.

"I suppose we shouldn't need anything else." her superior answered. "This is just the same experiments as before, except we shouldn't keep Doctor Gears waiting to any extent."

"Right..." the researcher responded. "He's... intimidating."

"Don't worry about him, he's usually like that." Durham reassured her assistant. "Now come on, we should be heading towards the experimentation chamber."

With that, the two researchers began to make their way towards the experimentation chamber. As they walked, Athena spoke up to ask her superior a question.

"So... which SCP are we going to test, Jaina?" she asked.

"It's a cognitohazardous SCP..." her superior responded. "SCP-1074, a gray canvas, or at least that's what it normally looks like..."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, when it's videotaped or photographed, it usually shows that the canvas is in a uniform shade of gray..." Durham explained. "However, prior tests indicate something rather interesting about it."

"Such as?"

"Well, are you aware of Stendhal's Syndrome?"

"Hmm..." the researcher hummed. "Is that the disorder that is related to artworks and such?"

"Yes, it is." Durham nodded, smiling. "I'm surprised that you would be familiar with the term at all, Athena. But then again, it's as expected of you."

"I'm familiar with a number of disorders..." Athena replied. "It does come in handy whenever Adrian even thinks about faking any sort of disorder..."

"He faked disorders?"

"Not as in putting up an unpleasant act, but more of saying and announcing it to us whenever he pleased..." the researcher answered. "I'm just glad he got through that stage, but it took ten months."

"That sounds like it's a pain to deal with..."

"Yes, it was." the researcher nodded. "Anyways, moving on from the topic, about the SCP..."

"Ah, right." her superior realised. "Essentially, any human who views it directly will suffer similar symptoms as Stendhal's Syndrome."

"And... there's nothing on the actual canvas than a uniform gray?"

"Yes, but the subjects would indicate otherwise..." her superior answered. "They say that the canvas has the most breath-taking painting that they've ever seen on it."

"Ah, I see..." the researcher understood. "But... we'll be safe from viewing the canvas, right?"

"Yes, it's nothing to worry about." Durham nodded reassuringly. "There should be some safety precautions implemented beforehand."

"Ah, okay..." the researcher nodded. "Perhaps I was worrying a bit too much..."

After a few more moments of walking, they arrived at the experimentation chamber's door, with another adjacent door.