Chapter 116: SCP-407

"You called for us, sir?"

"Yes, Durham..." Doctor Gears nodded. "Come in."

Athena and Durham entered the stoic doctor's office, expecting to be given orders about another experiment. The stoic doctor then set his paperwork aside, so he could talk to his assistants.

"Sir, what did you call us for?" Durham asked.

"This experiment comes from the O5 themselves..." the stoic doctor responded. "They want us to test a currently neutralized SCP."

"Sir, how are we to do that?"

"Well, the O5 sent me a copy in a letter earlier..." the stoic doctor responded, getting a flash drive from the inside of his desk. "It's currently contained in this flash drive, and I expect you to treat it with upmost care and security."

"Yes, sir..." the researcher answered, getting the flash drive from the desk. "We'll be sure to treat it as you asked."

"Sir, if you don't mind me asking... what are the contents of the flash drive?" Athena asked.

"It currently contains a digital copy of SCP-407." the stoic doctor answered. "We only have a few copies available of the SCP, and that flash drive is one of them."

"So what are we to do, sir?"

"The... council... wants you test if SCP-407's effects are still apparent..." the stoic doctor responded. "There were other tests with different copies, so that would be the last one. We just have to make sure it isn't fully neutralized after the Serpent's Hand had forced it to this state."

"You want us to test if the SCP has the same effects as the current file?"

"Yes, but you'll have to do this in a controlled environment." the stoic doctor responded. "I have arranged a transport that will take you to Facility 79-C. I have coordinated with the facility head, and he had given us authorisation for the test."

"Alright, and who should we be answering to?"

"Facility Head Carver should be expecting your arrival..." the stoic doctor responded. "Anyways, I expect this would be done a full day from now. Are we clear?"

"Yes, sir." Durham nodded. "We'll get it done."

"Alright, you may leave."

With that, the two researchers left the stoic doctor's office and started to walk towards the field. Along the way, Athena thought about something that piqued her interest.

"Jaina, may I ask a question?"

"Oh, well, go ahead..." the researcher responded. "What is it?"

"What is the council that Doctor Gears mentioned?"

"Oh, um... well, they're uh..." the researcher stumbled with her words. "They're only a higher authority in the Foundation, that's all..."

"Hmm... it sounds like there's more to it..." the researcher tried to pry for more information. "You seem tense about it and Doctor Gears seemed that he had mased it somehow."

"Athena, I really couldn't talk about them openly." the researcher persisted defensively. "They're the least of your problems."

"Okay..."

"Let's just focus on the task at hand."

Athena was a bit perplexed; she had never seen Durham being tense about something, let alone urging her assistant to forget about a mysterious subject matter.

The rest of the walk was silent, with Durham looking at her clipboard for necessary information. The two had made it to the field, seeing Captain Polonskaya arranging a transport for them.