Chapter 65: SCP-701

"Oh, SCP-701." Durham realised. "This is also peculiar if you ask me..."

"Why is that?" Athena asked.

"SCP-701 is a Caroline-era play, about revenge and tragedy." Durham answered. "It's split into five acts, with each getting progressively more violent."

"Violent how?"

"When the play runs through the four acts, there will be a being present which we call SCP-701-1." Durham answered. "And in the fifth act, the being will be fully present and the cast members will either commit suicide or murder each other. Same with the audience, committing opportunistic violence."

"I see..."

"It's almost like a... self-evolving memetic virus, in a way." Durham answered. "It changes its own text so discreetly to the point where people consider the text to be a new version of itself."

"And this cassette tape is related to the SCP?" Athena asked.

"Yes, it has a recording of the play made by high-school students back in the day." Durham answered. "The play, unfortunately, ended in violence."

"I see..." Athena answered. "And do we have any copies of the play?"

"A number of copies..." Durham answered. "We have to avoid the public to know about the play so we can avoid the tragedies that might occur."

"So... what are we supposed to do exactly?" Athena asked.

"Since the file hasn't been updated much, I suppose we should watch the recording of the play to understand it better." Durham answered.

"Wouldn't it affect us?" Athena asked.

"No, it won't." Durham answered. "The violent thoughts only affect the cast and the direct audience. I can safely say that we'll be fine."

"If you say so..." Athena answered.

"Anyways, there should be a cassette player in the audio-visual room." Durham said, gathering the file and her clipboard. "We should be able to watch the play from there."

"Okay, I see..."

Athena then grabbed the cassette tape and she and Durham left their office, then headed towards the audio-visual room.

As they were walking, they saw the general walking by. Naturally, they greeted her, even though she was clearly avoiding her duties.

"Good morning, General Brooks." Durham greeted her.

"Hey there, Durham." the general greeted back. "Where are you two off to? I thought you guys were analyzing files or something."

"Well, we were, but the one of the SCP's files haven't been updated for a while..." Durham answered. "So, me and Athena will be heading to the audio-visual room, if you don't mind..."

"Why do you need to go there?"

"Part of the SCP is recorded inside a cassette tape, and we'll be watching the recording to analyze its contents..." Durham answered.

"Can I go with you guys?" the general asked.

"General, shouldn't you attend to your duties?" Durham asked.

"Eh, wha? Why does everyone keep telling me that?" the general asked, then groaned. "Look, I just want to take a break from the things I've been doing. Running an entire site's no joke."

"And... you want to come along with us, ma'am?" Athena asked.

"Yeah, because it's back-breaking, you know?" the general nodded. "Anyways, I just wanna go with you."