Chapter 156: SCP-451

"Do you have anything new to report?"

"Nothing yet, ma'am..."

"Hm, thought so..."

The captain took another sip of her coffee, sighing after hearing the thought of another full day of fruitless searching for any sign of the athlete.

"Same drill, Scott." the captain instructed. "I'll be back in a few hours."

"Yes, ma'am." the technician responded. "I'll keep you posted when something comes up."

"Alright, if you wish..."

The captain then left the satellite operations room, leaving the technicians to their work on monitoring for any clue about the athlete's current whereabouts. She took another sip of her coffee, finishing her cup.

"At the very least give us a sign..." the captain thought to herself. "Your best friends have been worried sick."

She walked down the hallway and proceeded to check her watch, the time reading a quarter past one pm.

"Might as well find ma'am..." the captain thought to herself. "She should be at the spare cafeteria at this time."

She then proceeded to walk to the spare cafeteria, the same one as the anomalous pizza box's containment. She got there in a few minutes, the captain opened the door, only to find her superior on one table, along with Team Iris. The joker noticed the captain's arrival and immediately walked over to her.

"Hey cap..." the joker greeted. "What brought you here? You hungry or something?"

"Not really..." the captain shook her head. "Is this another one of your plans to destress Ryder?"

"Actually, that's the colonel's idea." the joker pointed his thumb to the said person seated on the table. "Needless to say, it's going great. The kid's got a smile on his face, and it stuck."

"That's good to hear..."

"So... cap, any luck?"

"Nyet, nothing yet."

"Well, can't say I'm surprised anymore..." the joker sighed. "Anyway, since nothing's happening yet, wanna join us?"

"Sure... I guess I'll oblige."

"Great, because the colonel looks like she's getting bored..."

The captain followed the joker and the two sat down on the table, joining in with the rest of the group. The captain took a seat next to her superior, then the latter noticed her.

"Captain, there you are..." the colonel spoke up, delighted to see her. "Where have you been? What took ya?"

"Well, by the looks of it, it seems that I'm the only one who is actively trying to look for Portnow..." the captain sighed. "So... I had to see what you were up to."

"Yeah, well, I was getting bored so... glad you came by." the colonel stood up from her seat, then stepped over the bench. "So I might as well just--"

The colonel saw that her wrist was tightly held by her subordinate; she tugged and pulled on her wrist to get it free, but to no avail.

"Okay, very funny, captain." the colonel reacted with an irritated tone, then tried to get her wrist free. "Now, let me go."

"Not this time, ma'am." the captain responded, not bothering to look at her. "You are not going to leave all the monitoring work to me."

"Yeah, colonel..." the joker responded. "At least have a little fun, the kid's been happy that you even suggested this whole thing."

"Yeah, I get that but--"