Chapter 98: SCP-662

In a distant town, a petty thief and grave robber was seemingly out of breath, as if he had recently been in a chase. He glanced in all directions whilst clutching his satchel, hoping that he wasn't followed.

After being sure that he wasn't followed, he made his way towards a nearby town, hoping to find a pawnshop. After a few moments of vigilant searching, he saw a pawnshop and walked inside.

He opened the door, causing a small bell to ring as he walked in. The pawnshop looked like any other, with different items of all kinds all on display. The pawnbroker was a man in his mid-forties, who looked somewhat older.

"Hello there..." the pawnbroker greeted the thief. "What brings you here?"

"Hey, I uh... wanna get some money for something..." the thief responded, walking up to the counter. "I was just hoping you could help me out."

"Of course..." the pawnbroker smiled. "What do you have?"

The thief then reached in his satchel and pulled out a silver bell; measuring four centimetres tall, two centimetres in circumference and an inscription reading 'Forever Mine - S.J.W.' . He then gave the bell to the pawnbroker.

"I have that bell..." the thief responded. "How much are you gonna give me for it?"

The pawnbroker inspected the bell, looking somewhat confused and a tad irritated.

"Where did you get this from? Some cheap thrift shop?" the pawnbroker asked the thief. "This bell doesn't even have a ringer. How the hell do you expect me to give a price for this shit?"

The pawnbroker had inspected the bell in such a way to accidentally ring it, despite it not having a ringer. A soft chime was heard, although the bell wasn't the source.

"The hell?" the pawnbroker looked inside the bell again, confused as the bell didn't have a ringer. "What? How the..."

"So... are you gonna give me a price on it now or..."

"Hmm..."

All of a sudden, a well-dressed Caucasian male walked inside the shop, entering from the staffroom.

"Hello, good sir!" the man greeted in a British accent.

The sudden entrace had spooked both the pawnbroker and the thief.

"What the hell is this?" the pawnbroker asked, then turned to the well-dressed man. "Who are you?"

"Why, I'm Mister Deeds, sir." the well-dressed man answered. "I am at your service."

"This is a setup, isn't it?" the pawnbroker spoke up. "You two are trying to rob me!"

"N-No! That's not it!" the thief responded. "I don't know this guy!"

"Oh, that's it..." the pawnbroker then brought out a sawed-off shotgun and pointing it at both of the men. "Get the fuck out of my store, now!"

"Let's not do anything harsh, sir." the well-dressed man spoke to him, his tone of voice not changing. "This is absolutely unnecessary."

"Hey, stay back!" the pawnbroker then pointed the gun at the well-dressed man. "I'll shoot! I'm gonna do it!"

Using this small time frame, the petty thief took the bell and ran towards the front door, fleeing the scene.

"Hey!"

"Sir, I should ask you to-"

A gunshot was then heard.

-----

Durham and Athena were walking towards the colonel's office, wanting her to participate in a certain SCP testing.