Chapter 141: Evasion

The flight of helicopters continued on to their intended location, with Team Iris leading the way. It will take them a short while longer to get close to their destination, with Adrian looking down from the helicopter to pass some time.

"Davidson, whatever you're doing... be careful." the captain told the joker. "I don't want a casualty resulting from an avoidable accident."

"Just getting some fresh air... no harm." the joker turned to the captain. "Ma'am, any chance those GOC peeps are gonna be near us when we try to get Dusty back?"

"Is that what you're most concerned about?"

"I mean... no, but I just want this to go smoothly." the joker answered. "Unlike those last two times we bumped into them."

"The first was an accident... however, the second was their response." the captain corrected. "You lost two members of the team because of it."

"Yeah... right..."

"Any chance we gonna get them back?" the teenage girl asked. "They... they could be hurting them right now."

"I'd doubt that..." the captain spoke up. "The GOC follows the United Nations guidelines for human rights... but then again, there might be a few people who might look past that to hurt our own."

"Then..."

"We'll figure that out when the time comes..." the captain interjected, urging them to forget it for the moment. "Right now, we're focusing on the mission at hand..."

"Hang on, we're not just gonna slip past that." the joker responded. "Like only God knows what they're doing to them in their hands."

"They... they might be dead."

"They wouldn't do that." the captain responded.

"How are you so sure, ma'am?"

"We still have two of their operatives..." the captain answered, then asked the joker. "Davidson, you did take one of those operatives into our custody, didn't you?"

"I... yeah... I did do that..." the joker remembered. "But that's it? That's our leverage on them?"

"So far, da..." the captain nodded. "If they wanted to harm of us, then we'll gladly do the same to them. Well, the colonel would..."

"Yeah..." the teenage girl understood. "Eye for an eye, right? Is that how it goes?"

"Yeah, but then the whole world goes blind." the joker replied. "Ma'am, surely we can work something else out with them, right? Like... a sort of agreement or something?"

"That's for them to decide, not us." the captain answered. "They were in an unauthorized area, and they shot first, proving their hostility."

"Yeah... but they can say the exact same thing." the joker answered. "Like, they're the goddamn UN for fuck's sake, of course they got the advantage!"

"Davidson, I know the current stress of this situation... but I don't want any of you to get involved more than necessary. For your own good, let's set this matter aside and focus on the mission." the captain answered. "That is an order."

The joker was about to say something in response, but only managed to sigh.

"Yes, ma'am..."

"That goes for you too, Thompson." the captain turned to the teenage girl. "The two of you forget about this, and let me handle the matter, understood?"

"Alright, ma'am..." the joker nodded in understanding. "We'll leave it alone..."

"Good..."

The joker then looked at the Polish-American recruit, who was sitting in silence and inspecting her gear.