Chapter 57: SCP-4999

"Get out of the way!"

Some members of the task force were wheeling the wounded Gates through the site in a stretcher, to get to the infirmary. The captain was also present, as the soldier was under her command.

"Injured coming through!" the captain shouted to the oncoming passerbys in the halls. "Make way! Make way!"

The passerbys, consisting of researchers, guards and occasional technicians, immediately moved out of their way, as they knew and understood the priority of the injured soldier.

Among the said passerbys were Athena and Durham, coming back to their office from the tests with SCP-2599.

"Oh my..." Durham reacted as she and Athena moved out of the way.

"It probably seems like they're back from their mission." Athena theorised. "And... it appears that Daleport's still dangerous..."

"Yes, but we'll be busy reviewing some retrieved documents from there." Durham replied. "That is, if they did retrieve some..."

"I have faith in my friends..." Athena responded.

"Anyways, I'll be handing the report over to the chief researcher now..." Durham spoke. "I want you to gather the documents from your friends and we'll review them, alright?"

"Alright." Athena nodded.

Durham proceeded to walk back to her office, leaving Athena in the hallway. She had nothing else to do, so she wanted to meet up with the others about their mission in Daleport.

She looked at her watch, and it stated that it was a while past noon. It was already lunchtime so all she had to do was to wait for them in the cafeteria.

-----

The group were now in the field, freshly returned from their mission.

"Alright, make sure not lose any one of those documents." Riley told the group. "They're valuable intelligence to the Foundation about Daleport."

"Yeah, we got it, Billy..." Adrian waved off. "We're not scatterbrained or anything."

"Fred, make sure not one of those documents get lost." Riley told the peacekeeper. "You're really the only one I can trust on this."

"Don't worry, you can count on me." Freddie nodded.

"Alright..." Riley answered. "Just hand those over to your friend and that's it."

"Got it."

With that, the group started to head into the site. Freddie was carrying most of the retrieved documents from the town, with Drista carrying one of the books.

"So what did you guys see in there?" Drista asked.

"I didn't see shit, no one was in there." Adrian answered. "We did see some fucked up bodies though."

"What do you mean?" Dustin asked.

"Like there was this priest, and he was all fucked up..." Adrian answered. "He was looking like a mutated tomato with clothes on."

"What about you, Freddie?" Drista turned to her left.

"Well, I couldn't say that it was real but... I did see something in the fog." Freddie answered.

"What is it?" Drista asked.