Chapter 137: SCP-001 [Tufto]

"The Scarlet King?"

"Da... a malevolent deity that aims to destroy us all." the captain answered. "Some say, he is the embodiment of evil itself."

"Ma'am... I don't follow..." the peacekeeper spoke up. "How is this connected to what's happening to Dustin?"

"Yeah, no offense... but I think he's gone a little cuckoo..." the joker responded. "I mean, he's been through a lot of shit same as us, so surely that's gotta be it, right?"

"Nyet, it's not that simple..." the captain shook her head. "Despite those prior events, he had a reason to attack us, a valid one at that."

"Yeah, because if he did wanna get out, he could've gotten out on his own." the colonel spoke up, walking towards one of the vacant beds. "But he had help from that reptile, and got out together."

"Yeah... I could believe that they were working together." the researcher responded. "But why would they? I thought that SCP-682 hates all life."

"Probably that reptile had a soft spot for him." the colonel shrugged. "We barely know anything about him."

"Or maybe there would be a deeper connection..." the captain deducted. "And so, that leads us all into the topic of this conversation."

"The Scarlet King..." the peacekeeper muttered.

"Ma'am, if I could ask you one thing... how do you know all this?" the tomboy asked. "And... why are you telling us this?"

"Just so you guys could have a better idea on what's going on." the colonel answered.

"Da... we have reason to believe that's the case here." the captain added. "You wouldn't believe me at first, but he told me himself."

"What?"

"Da, me and those in the Serpent's Hand, according to him..."

"He told you, but not us?" the researcher asked. "But why? We could've helped him with this matter. We would've changed things had he told us."

"Would you?" the captain immediately asked back, glaring at her. "Because of the way you have treated him, I don't think that would be the case."

"I... well..."

"Ma'am, what are you on about?" Adrian spoke up. "Athena didn't do anything! Dusty's her best friend for God's sake, she wouldn't hurt him!"

The sudden volume of the joker's voice caused him to cough out blood immediately after he finished his sentence. The colonel grabbed another clean towel from the drawers and tossed it to the joker, landing on his right leg.

"Let me explain, or should I say... let her explain." the captain responded, then turned to the researcher. "Green, you did get angry at Portnow, da? Before I walked in this very room, you came out being upset about something."

"Y-Yes... I can't deny that." the researcher nodded.

"Tell me... what is it that you were upset about?"

"I was... just upset about some things..." the researcher answered. "It's just... it's complicated."

"Oh my god..." the colonel rolled her eyes. "Complicated this, complicated that, can't you just tell us straight up, Alina?"

"Ma'am..." the captain narrowed her eyes at her superior, then looked back at the researcher. "And it wasn't just that one time, da?"

"Yes..."

"Right, now tell your friends what you've done."

"Athena, what did you do?" the peacekeeper asked.

"Yeah, what the hell happened?" the tomboy added.