Chapter 164: Beginning of the End

"After all these years... you have done well, my son."

"All for the sake of your arrival, father."

The athlete had found himself upon a red cliff, looking down on the Scarlet King. The crimson deity simply looked up at him, making minimal movements, speaking through telepathy.

"The day of salvation nears... yet I still have to regain my full strength."

"The fifth year is just getting started, father. Will you be able to regain your strength in time?"

"That depends on what actions you shall take next..."

"What do you mean?"

"I feel that... the ritual is incomplete. That simply cannot do, this issue must be resolved in order for me to successfully travel into your reality."

"Tell me, father... what is it?"

"Free yourself. I ask you to free yourself from anything you know and remember about your reality, so you can submit to me."

"I... uh..."

"Are you hesitant to do so?"

"Well, not like that..."

"You have gone so far... and yet you wish to fail me now of all times? We have made it this far, you have gone this far... it is imperative that you must do so."

"I know... but can you just..."

"If it is a favour that you want from me, then you may get it once you have succeeded in this endeavour. Once I gain my full strength, you may have everything you shall ask for."

The athlete then thought to himself for a few moments, with the deity simply staring intently at him. A few moments later, the athlete spoke up again.

"Fine..." he nodded. "So... I have to let things go, huh?"

"Yes, my son... let everything go. This world has nothing left to offer you, but I still do."

"Guess you'll just have to be patient with them, father..." the athlete responded. "I'll make sure everything goes to plan."

-----

The athlete opened his eyes, only to find two cultists who were watching him sleep. Immediately, they rushed over and began to speak.

"Another message from our lord, brother?"

"Yeah... basically." the athlete nodded as he sat up on his bed. "He's just expecting you to finish the ritual, properly and correctly."

"Well, everything's in motion, brother." the first cultist replied, with the other cultist nodding. "We've gotten our first victims within the area. It won't be long until this will spread through the entire state."

"Whatever the case, just don't draw attention to us." the athlete responded. "We don't need any more problems or suspicion drawn to us."

"Of course, brother. We won't let anything be compromised."

"Speaking of the ritual, brother... we have a group of sacrifices that we had brought to you." the other cultist spoke up. "Maybe you could sacrifice them for yourself, to set an example for the rest of us on how things should be done."

"Why now? Is anyone not doing their part?"

"Yes, brother. He seems to be hesitant in following orders, so we were pondering that you could sort him out."