Chapter 96: The Assault

A few days had passed since the failed recovery mission, and the group were at the cafeteria, going about their normal routine.

Freddie, Drista and Riley were by themselves in a table, whilst Dustin was in another table with Ash, with the latter dragging the former there. Due to this, the three just watched the athlete conversing with the abrasive agent.

"Didn't think that Dustin would get through to her..." the sergeant said. "Looks like they're working things out."

"You think that Dusty moved on from Ari because of Ash?" Drista asked. "You guys think that he already forgot about her?"

"I'm pretty sure that he hadn't forgot about her, Drista..." Freddie reassured the tomboy. "Though I have to say, it's nice to see Dustin talking to her. Even though the first meeting was a bit troublesome."

"Right..." the sergeant nodded. "I'm sure she's doing what she can to calm him down after what Rosenberg did to him."

"Yeah..." the tomboy sighed. "Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to her..."

"Maybe Dustin had his way again like last time..." the sergeant responded. "But... I'd rather not ask him about it."

"Yeah, it's probably best not to bring it up to him." the peacekeeper agreed. "He... he might get upset at us if we do..."

"Alright..." the tomboy responded. "So... what's next for us?"

"I dunno... but I haven't gotten any word from Rosenberg..." the sergeant answered. "It should be fine if we could go back."

"Are you sure we could?" Freddie asked.

"It's the best choice we got." the sergeant answered. "After all, I did say we're staying here until things cool down."

"Let's just hope that this'll be better." the tomboy replied, then sighed. "I'm really getting tired of this whole thing."

As the sun slowly set over the horizons, everything was at peace inside the Serpent's Hand base; with everyone going about their jobs and tasks.

Matsumoto was inside the archives room of the base, assigned to sort out certain documents with Max; the documents pertaining to SCPs and the Foundation.

"This one goes here, right?" Max asked.

"Which one?"

"This here."

Max handed the document to the Japanese agent, who then looked at the document and began to silently read it. After a few seconds, he handed the document back.

"It should go to the section there..." he replied, pointing to one of the record boxes on the far side of the room. "Alongside the others."

"This here?" Max walked up to one of the record boxes.

"The one next to it."

"Oh, okay, thanks."

With that, the agent began to organise the files and put it into a slot in the record box. Matsumoto did his task as well, however, it seemed that he waited for something.

-----

In a dirt road nearby the forest, five civilian vehicles and a truck had arrived, being as quiet as they could be to avoid the Serpent's Hand agents from hearing them.

The vehicles slowly stopped and parked on the dirt road. With that, the occupants started to get out of the vehicles and form a defensive perimeter.