The New Doll

"You and me, we got on alright yesterday." Nyx said, stirring a bowl of red sauce in a deep cooking pot- she was experimenting, it was a recipe she somewhat remembered from her mum, and being that so far it didn't look like death, she was taking it as a good sign.
Grizelda was sitting in her high chair across from her, playing with her toys; the kitchen now having somehow settled into their ordinary hangout. Nyx turned to her. "I think you liked being outside. Which is good, that's good. I like being outside."

Grizelda gurgled and twisted the arm of her brand new doll. They'd awoken to more gifts again today; another doll for Grizelda and shoes for Nyx. It was becoming a pattern, particularly when he had strange emotional episodes. Nyx was wearing them now; soft blue fabric pumps, and she'd done her hair up with the ornamental pins Alysha had given her. Hanging against her chest, as always, was the crucifix pendant she'd been wearing since the asylum.

"Which plays into my theory," Nyx continued, perhaps speaking more to herself than the baby. "Which is, you're bored. You're unusually intelligent for a baby." She frowned like she was trying to puzzle it out. "Because there is definitely something different about you." She fidgeted awkwardly, turning her attention back to the pot and somewhat lowering her voice to a mumble. "Not that that's bad. I'm sure I was an odd child too."

Grizelda popped the head off her doll.

"Yeah, you're unnervingly precise with that." Nyx frowned.

Grizelda dropped the doll's head unceremoniously on the floor, bored with it now, and pointed upwards at the ceiling. "Uh, uh, uh!"

Nyx tipped her head back and squinted. "Do you mean upstairs?"

"Uh, uh, uh!" Grizelda agreed, bouncing in her seat.

Nyx shook her head. "No no, sweetie. We're hanging out down here."

"Uh! Uh! UP!"

Nyx jumped in surprise, staring at the baby. She couldn't quite believe her ears. "... Did you just say up?"

Grizelda clammed up and didn't say anything.

Slowly, Nyx crouched down to Grizelda's level, looking her in the eyes. "Up? Up?" Nothing. Nyx stood up again. She must have just imagined it. Or maybe it was a fluke that had bewildered Grizelda just as much as her.

Then Grizelda balled up her little fists, screwed up her face and screamed.

***

"See? See?" Nyx said to the child in her arms as she stepped onto the landing. "There's nothing here, nothing to get wound up over. It's just upstairs." She didn't understand Grizelda's odd whims and moods, admittedly not at all. In this instance, it was almost easier to cave than sway the baby's attention.

Grizelda jabbed her finger at his office door. "Ere!"

"No, we can't go there, he's busy."

Grizelda looked confused at Nyx and grabbed a fistful of her top, yanking on it as if trying to pull her along; jabbing her finger at the door. Suddenly she began squealing, shrieking and burbling and wriggling in Nyx's arms as if she wanted to get down and go herself, trying to express her desire.

"Shh, shh, no, don't do this..."

Finally, full of frustration, Grizelda wound back her arm and threw her headless doll at the door. It landed against it with a hard thunk and rolled onto the floor.

"Alright, that's enough!" Nyx decided, deciding to take the baby away. She chided the child as she struggled in her arms. "Come on, you're going to calm down. Shh, shh. I'll be back for the doll in a minute, don't worry..."

When Nyx came back for the doll, it was gone.