Daddy's Here

The baby was crying. Again.

Pulling himself from the bed with a groan, Declan made his way to his baby son in the crib; picking him up and cradling him against his chest. "There, there, little one. Can't sleep, can you?"
He'd been fed and he didn't need changing, so Declan just comforted him; rocking him gently as he walked back to sit back on the bed against the pillows, baby sobbing wetly against his bare shoulder. "I know." He soothed, rubbing circles on the young child's back. "I know. You're safe, I'm here. Daddy's here."

Eventually the baby quieted, worn out from crying, and drifted off to sleep. After several attempts to return the baby to the bed that only resulted in waking him up again, Dec decided just to stay where he was, sitting up against the headboard as his young son slept peacefully. "Well, I'm glad you can sleep now." Dec chuckled quietly at the awkward situation he had found himself in.

Tiredly, he leant his head back against the wall, closing his eyes and trying to get some rest.

Seconds later, the door cracked open and his eyes with it. Lila peered into the room. "Is DJ crying?"

"He was." Dec said, gesturing to the baby on his chest with his chin. "Don't worry, I've got him."

Still, she crossed over to the bed, wanting to check on her brother for herself. "Is he sad because he's lonely?"

"Yeah." Dec nodded. "So I'm keeping him company."

"Oh." She said thoughtfully. "I wanna keep him company too." She pulled herself onto the mattress, and he tucked the blanket over her lap to keep out the night's chill. She smiled as she snuggled close to them, and Dec smiled back; trying not to show the exhaustion he was feeling. For all the cheer she seemed to be showing, he knew the truth; she was distressed. His children needed him to be strong right now.

The door opened again. Peering over, Dec saw a wide-eyed Billy standing in the light from the hall, holding Big Tiger in his hands for comfort as he just looked at them.

"... Do you want to come up here too?" Dec offered after a long, quiet pause.

Billy nodded, tears bubbling up in his eyes as he ran towards the bed, scrambling over Declan's legs to cuddle up on his other side, burrowing under the blankets.

And so whilst his children slept, Declan stayed awake; a sentinel keeping watch, guarding them against the unfeeling embrace of the night.