The Training Mat

Nyx had never really thought about learning how to properly fight.

Turns out, he had a basement that he had already set about converting into a training area; although admittedly, other than a few mats it was pretty barren.

Nyx followed slowly a few steps behind him as he walked into the centre of the room, drinking the broad space in. He pivoted on his heel, turning to face her. "Do you know how to throw a punch?"

Nyx crossed her arms, lips pressed together although a smile snuck through. "You know I do."

He pulled a face. "You know how to hit something. That's not quite the same thing."

Nyx raised a playful eyebrow. "Oh yeah?" She raised her fists, jokingly squaring up to him. "Put 'em up, put 'em up!" She pretended to drive her first towards his face.

He caught her mid-motion, hand around her wrist. Nyx laughed, "I wasn't actually gonna-" immediately slacked her arm and opened her hand to wave at him. She barely saw him move. Just suddenly, her feet were not on the floor and she was crashing backwards into the mat. She was shocked; a bit winded, but it didn't hurt though. The moment she caught some breath, she gave a strained laugh. "Now I know that was definitely not a punch."

He crouched beside her, looking at her with a smug smile. "Are you done?"

Holding up her hand, Nyx made him wait to catch her breath; counting down on her fingers- one, two...

"No." She pushed herself bolt upright and leapt towards him, tackling him and pushing into his torso with her full body force. She actually managed to catch him off guard, knocking him off balance so he had to catch himself with his hand. It was a short-lived victory; for the amount of effort she was putting in, he quickly became immovable.

"Ugh, why are you built like a mountain?" Nyx grunted, arms around his middle.

She could almost feel his bemused eye-roll as he disengaged her from around his middle and very easily pinned her to the mat. She gave some presumed resistance, wriggling and squirming under him, although it was very clear he had already won.

He quirked a brow in amusement. "I'll give you points for tenacity. Are you ready to pay attention now?"

She fake-pouted. "Alright, fine."