Her Story

They sat together on the couch, his arm wrapped protectively around Nyx's front, his other hand running fingers lovingly through her hair. Bare feet pulled up onto the couch cushions, Nyx turned the notebook over and over in her hands, thumbing semi-curiously through the pages before she leant her head back against him. "... I haven't read it." She confessed into the shared silence. "Not beyond the first few lines. I couldn't do it." She tilted her head up towards him, brow furrowed in curiosity. "Have you read it?"

"I have." He nodded, voice neutral and measured, as he pressed a reassuring kiss to her temple.

Nyx fell silent once more in wide-eyed thought, hand clutching the arm holding her secure, thumb absentmindedly going back and forth across his skin. "... I always knew I must have a biological mother." She said slowly. "But to me, she was always this... distant figure. An idea; a matter of logic. But this... but now..." She clutched the diary tighter, bringing it closer to her chest. "... I'm not sure if I want to make her real."

"Yeah, I can understand that."

Suddenly, Nyx laughed. "I feel like I'm prying! Like I'm impinging on her life! What business is this of mine? Do I even want to know?" She shook the book in the air like it was nothing; then froze, lowering her hand, as if something had just occurred. "Do I want to know?" She turned sharply to him, intense worry in her eyes.

Still so assuredly calm, he reached over and took the diary from her hands, opening it and flicking through until he came to a marked page just below halfway through; then, he returned it back to her waiting hands.  "Why don't you start here? When she finds out she is pregnant." His smile twinkled at her as she started, gobsmacked. "... Because then it's not just her story."