Walking Dream

Nyx wasn't dreaming. Or maybe she was- she just wasn't like usual.

She was standing in the mirror realm; the mist swirling around her, embracing her like an old friend.

A shape was standing in the fog. Like a man, but taller than any man; even veiled in shadow, it looked more like a corpse.

It's eyes burned with red fire.

Lifting its feet, I began to amble towards her.

***

Nyx awoke early once more.

What she was surprised to find was another body in her bed. He had stayed through the night; arms wrapped around her, face buried in the back of her neck.

She couldn't tell if he was sleeping or not; he held very still, as if not to awake her. She held very still too; as so not to disturb him.

It didn't last long enough. All too soon, he stirred and rose from the bed. She watched through slitted eyes as he crossed the room, opened the door and left.

All too soon, she found herself up and dressed in brand new clothes, down in the kitchen trying to negotiate breakfast with the baby.

"You can talk. I heard you." Nyx grumbled as she put together Grizelda's bottle. "I've half a mind to believe that you set me up. To make me look bad."

Then she mentally scolded herself for picking  a squabble with a baby. No matter how intelligent the child may or may not be. It was immature.

Still didn't stop the whole thing from being weird though.

Putting the top on the bottle, she picked it up and approach Grizelda. "If you want it, say please." Nyx said, holding it out.

The baby said nothing; just looked at her.

"Say please?" Nyx tried again. "Please say please."

Giving up, she put the bottle down in front of the baby.

Something moved outside the window. Curious, Nyx looked up at it. Her face fell and she let out an ear-splitting scream.

There, looking in the window, was the face of a corpse.

By the way, I have realized my spelling of Grizelda's name keeps flip-flopping a bit between Grizelda and Griselda. I partly blame autocorrect and partly me forgetting to check. Please know it is meant to be Grizelda (despite what the autocorrect imps think. XD)