Under The Skin

"...Nyx, are you alright?"

"Nyx, come on, talk to us."

Nyx was ignoring them both. She had shut and locked her bedroom door, and the moment she had closed off the rest of the world had been blissful. Taking a long, calming sigh, she meandered listlessly around the bed, away from their voices.

She had just been pulled through the absolute wringer and now, her cup was empty. The emotional and physical turmoil she had been through in the course of the last hours had ripped through like a hurricane and just swept everything away.

And yet... she could still feel something; something moving under her skin. It was strange; it was a tingling up her spine, a full ache somewhere in her skull, a twitching at her fingertips; there was a twisting and a cramping in her middle, and Nyx almost baulked as she felt the phantom of the hand from her hallucination pressing out from the inside. On a sudden urge, she rolled up the bottom of her shirt to look.

The skin on her lower torso, just above her pelvis, was a mess; three great slices, diagonally up, side to side, the skin raised and puckered where it had been fixed back together; the top of the first slash a mess where it intersected with the scar left by the knife, just below her ribs. The lines were almost spectrally pale against her light skin, looking like wounds several months healed already, and perhaps even healing more still.

And there it was. Almost half a finger length long; long enough to be frightening, small enough it could have easily been missed.

One single black vein.

Dropping her shirt back down to cover it, she dropped onto her bed, suddenly weak at the knees; her head in her hands.

More voices at the door. Did they ever stop? Could they not just give her a minute? Why did she have to be the one pandering to everyone's feelings? Why did she have to carry all their emotional baggage? Why did everyone else get to lock everyone out on a whim for one reason or the next, but she caused a stir when she asked for the same space? Why was she the one who's role it was to fix things? And what did they mean they had kissed?!

Shooting to her feet, she stormed over to the door and wrenched it open with a bang! "RIGHT! Both of you owe me an apology!"

Please leave your thoughts! Comments feed my muse XD
Also, if anyone's interested, I have started writing a Stranger Things fanfic- go find it on my account! Not much yet, but I promise it should be good.