She talks!

"She talks, she talks!" Nyx twittered behind him as she followed him across the hall from his office to the nursery. "Full sentences too! She's too young to do that!"

He pushed open the nursery door and strode into the room, straight towards Grizelda who was sitting upright in her crib, looking unblinkingly at them. He lent on bed sides, peering down into the crib. "Hello."

The baby looked up at him, mildly bewildered and saying nothing.

"Can you talk?" He said bluntly.

"She's not going to respond if you directly ask her!" Nyx exclaimed. "You have to... get her talking!" She gestured broadly with her hands, not quite sure what she was saying herself but hoping he would get it.

He raised a questioning eyebrow at her, then turned back, reaching into his jacket. From it, he pulled out Grizelda's headless doll. He held it above the girl. "Do you want this? Yes? Is this yours?"

Grizelda smiled and squealed in delight, reaching up above her head to snatch for it. Still, not a word. After a few moments he dropped it into the crib and she cuddled it close, giggling with glee.

He withdrew from the crib and turned to Nyx. "Okay. Is it possible you're mistaken? You do seem very tired."

Frustrated, Nyx scrubbed her brow with the back of her hand. "I'm not making it up. Something is going on- in this house!" She stomped her foot, jabbing her finger at the floor.

He immediately stilled her with his hands on her upper arms and pulled her closer to him. "No, I don't mean that. I just mean... you've been acting a bit off, pretty much since you've been out of that hospital. You seem... paranoid, almost. Did something happen?"

"-No." Nyx said, a bit too sharply. Then she took a breath and slowed down. "You know most of it anyway."

"Not really..."

Nyx sighed. "You know what, it doesn't matter. I am tired. I'm going to bed."

He smiled softly and pulled her into his side. "Come on then." Gently, he lead her out of the room, closing the door softly behind.