One Night

"Are you coming in?" Nyx asked softly as the stopped at her bedroom door, hands happily intertwined with each other in what felt the most natural embrace.

He smiled ruefully and shook his head. "No. I have things I need to get back to."

She pouted slightly. "Are you sure I can't change your mind?" She stepped closer to him, looking up coyly through her lashes. Her breath brushed across his cheek. "One night isn't going to do any harm. I think you could benefit from a break."

"Temptress." He accused in a whisper of breath. A smile on his face, he pressed a lingering kiss to her cheek. "Despite perhaps my more enjoyable instincts, I'm going to have to decline."

"Oh, fine then..." Nyx pretended to sulk, back pressed against the wall as he released her and turned away. "Don't let thoughts of me... in my room... alone... drive you to distraction."

She noted the start of his shoulders with a smug smile.

Primly turning on her heel, she walked towards the baby's room. She was fizzing with happiness as she pushed open the door and entered the nursery, eyes going immediately to the baby's bed.

Crouched in the corner of the mattress, clawed fingers digging into the cloth, Grizelda hissed with the ferocity of a rattlesnake, sharp teeth bared, black eyes boring into Nyx's soul.

Nyx shrieked in alarm, jumping back so she slammed against the wall. Turning around, she scrambled for the handle, wrenching the door open and running out into the hall-

-and into the solid form of someone standing in front of her.

Immediately, before she'd even had chance to properly look up, his lips were on hers; hands buried in her hair, clutching her close as he delved into her mouth. She was shocked at first, frozen in confusion, but almost subconsciously melted into him, bringing her hands up around the back of his neck. Without breaking the embrace, he moved them both towards her bedroom door, reaching for the handle; steering them both inside to where they tumbled into a passionate heap on her bed.