Early Rising

Nyx woke up the next morning with a not unpleasant ache of exercise in her shoulders and thighs, and sat up in bed. The pure physical exhaustion of the previous day, much to her delight, had worked to chase any malicious dreams away. She was surprised to realise how much she had actually enjoyed their training; it felt like something that she had unknowingly been missing. She hoped their next one would be as good.

As she looked around the room, she saw a box sitting on her dressing table. Getting up, she walked over and picked up the card on the lid.

It's not exactly Shadowhunting gear, but it's better than what you have.

Putting the note aside, she lifted the lid. Inside were some simple black training clothes; a strappy-sleeved top, stretchy trousers and more suitable shoes.

Happy with her new clothes, Nyx went to get Grizelda. The baby was already up- in fact, she was sitting up, having managed to prop her back up against the end of the crib.

Nyx eyed her warily as she came close to the baby's bed, her pace slowing with unconscious reluctance to get near. She still recalled the moment she had heard the child speak.

Coming to the opposite end of the long crib, Nyx slowly sunk down to peer at the baby through the bars. "Say something."

Grizelda just cocked her head quizzically, a smile on her face, playing with one of her headless dolls that she held snuggled in her arms.

"Say anything."

Silence. Then Nyx stood up and sighed- this was ridiculous; and walked around the crib to gather up the baby. Grizelda squirmed and shrieked as usual, but Nyx expertly pinned down the baby's flailing arms with the gentlest touch and carried her downstairs to her highchair.

He was already in the kitchen when she got there, sitting at the table.

"Oh, hello!"

"Hello." He said with a pleasant smile. "Up for more training today?"

"Oh yes!" Nyx replied cheerily, tucking the baby into her seat and setting about making her breakfast.

"Good. Because I think you're going to enjoy today."