Her Majesty

What Grizelda was that day... was clingy. In fact, she was perfectly pleasant, and had she been any other child, Nyx wouldn't have seen anything wrong with it.

Grizelda had stopped crying the moment Nyx had entered the room, beamed a wide smile and raised her hands to be picked up.

Nyx had been extremely hesitant at this change of tune. But she had plucked up her courage and picked up the child- immediately Grizelda clung to her side like a baby primate, clutching to its parent for survival. Nyx's breath immediately clenched at the tightness of Grizelda's grip, the baby's head laid very sweetly on her shoulder, dark eyes looking up at her through her feathery lashes.

She had screamed the moment Nyx tried to put her down in the high chair.

Nyx huffed at her boyfriend across the table as, after a failed attempt to disengage the baby's arms from her neck, she was forced to settle her back on her hips.

"See, she likes you." He said, standing to help her.

"No." Nyx replied flatly, attempting to unscrew the cap of a baby-bottle one-handed, failing and giving up. "This is weird."

"Maybe she's warmed up to you."

Nyx turned her head to look the baby in the eyes. "You hated me yesterday. Don't act innocent now."

Grizelda just burbled sweetly and patted Nyx's cheek. Nyx was sending out help signals with her eyes.

"See?" He said. "It will be alright. Whatevers going on, we will figure it out." He walked towards her, reaching out to take her spare hand, running his thumb lightly over her knuckles. "It will be alright. You're alright. She's not evil."

As he said it, he saw it. Grizelda wasn't just smiling, she was smug. He could see it in the black of her eyes; her claws gripping possessively onto Nyx's skin. A message, in a voice not her own. "I took something of yours."