The Ace Of Swords

He examined the large crucifix-like pendant- previously the cross-handle of the blade that was now retracted inside. It was definitely a Shadowhunter's weapon.

"... So you picked up a sword at the hospital and decided to keep it."

Behind them, baby Grizelda grizzled; already having gotten over the fright and now annoyed no one was paying her full attention.

"It's mine." Nyx insisted. "It responds to my touch."

"It's definitely very interesting." He said, turning it over in his hands. He looked up at her from under his lashes. "Were you not going to tell me that you had it?"

Nyx crossed her arms. "I was a bit distracted. Remember that part where you were spitting up blood? Bit more important." She held out her hand. "Can I have it back please?"

He traced his fingers over the engraved runic pattern on its surface then looked up at her once more. "Do you even know how to use it?"

"Well..." Nyx said. "I used it well enough to protect us at the hospital."

A small chuckle escaped him. "You got lucky."

She shrugged, holding up her hands. "If luck works, then I'll take it."

His eyes trailed back to the window, almost unconsciously. "You might not be so lucky next time." He murmured.

Nyx insistently opened and closed her hand. "Look, can I please have it back?"

Returning his gaze to her, with an apologetic smile he picked up the chain trailing from the pendant and curled it up in his palm. Then, reaching out, he pressed the whole thing into her hand. As she curled her fingers around it, he paused, fingers brushing softly across hers. His eyes flicked up to hers, holding her gaze intensely.

"I could teach you how to use it, if you would like."