Delirium

"I can't believe he did that. I can't believe he did that." Nyx fumed, stalking back and forth across Grizelda's nursery, the screeching baby swaddled up protectively in her arms.

A strange thing had happened in that moment in the office. Upon feeling Grizelda's distress, Nyx had reacted in kind,  some buried instinct sparking to life; egged on willingly by Grizelda, she had snatched up the child and proceeded to sequester them both behind the locked door of the nursery. There they stayed, stoking each other's fire, commiserating and feeding off the others rising indignation.

"This is not right. This is not right." Nyx had murmured again and again as he knocked on the door, asking to be let in. "Just give us a moment!" She looked down at Grizelda tucked safely in her arms, and spoke in the barest whisper. "It's okay, I'll protect you." Grizelda grumbled darkly, a growl building in the back of her throat as she looked towards the door. "Shh, shh, it's okay." Softly Nyx stroked her hair.

She felt sick. Grizelda clung to her like a vine to a tree, entwined around her, smothering and unbreakable. I really hope you're not consuming my life force.

Drifting over to the little bed they had put in there for when Nyx needed to stay the night, Nyx settled on the mattress, holding the baby softly in her grasp. Grizelda curled into Nyx's stomach, purring like a strange little animal and smoothing her hands over Nyx's front; still unsettled by the bizarre proceedings, Nyx gently petted Grizelda's head and hummed a tune which the demon girl tried to echo until she drifted off to sleep.

Her own eyes drooping, Nyx pried the baby from her front and gently placed her into the crib, before crawling back onto the mattress.

She was drifting off into the bliss of sleep when she felt the lightest touch at her face. Frowning, she opened her eyes- and found, sitting atop her, a smile stretched across his rosey cheeks, a dark-eyed little boy.

Nyx screamed.

Not sure if this quite went how I wanted it- think it was better in my head and hasn't translated so well- but it gets the plot moving! Hope you enjoy- please leave feedback!