The Benefits Of Practice

Nyx grunted loudly as she ended up sprawled down on the floor on her back once again. "You know, I'm starting to think it's a subconscious thing and you like me down on the mat."

He chuckled, taking a long drink from the water bottle he had swiped from the edge of the training mat as he came and stood over her. "Well, it is a nice view."

Tipping her head back, Nyx laughed, stretching out her limbs with her back pressed into the cusioned flooring. "Everything aches."

"We've been at this a long time." He nodded. "You've been doing good work. But you need to plant your feet. You're hopping around too much and it's putting you off balance."

"I can't help it." Nyx grumbled. "I get all adrenalined-up and then it just happens on reflex."

He smiled, white teeth glinting. "Practice."

Nyx groaned loudly again. Then, she raised her hand towards him to be pulled up.

He raised a sceptical eyebrow at her. "... Do you think I'm going to fall for that?"

A wide grin spread across Nyx's face. "You're such a cynic!" Raising herself up onto her elbows, she dramatically placed a hand on her chest and faked offence. "Would I ever... Yes, yes I would." Laughing, she quickly pushed herself up onto her feet and hopped up to him.

Really, she was quite excited. This was the most she had seen him in days. Not only that, but it was something he seemed passionate about, something he was good at. And whilst he was for sure taking teaching her seriously, it was just nice to mess around a bit together. But in a way, it ignited a longing; Nyx couldn't help but want more.

She stepped close to him, tucking herself into his side, enjoying the warmth of his body. "So what next?" She asked, taking her own water bottle and swallowing down a long draught. "When do I get to use a sword?"

"Well, really we should find out what weapon would be most suitable for you." He said. "Ideally, you'd learn a range, but I'd rather get you proficient in something you're good at first."

"I've a good arm for throwing plates." Nyx teased.

She had meant it as a joke, but he paused, thinking it over with dead-seriousness. "... You do have shockingly good aim." He looked at her with a twinkle in his eyes. "Alright. I'll see what we can do."