The Cuckoo In The Nest

Nyx awoke in a bed, in a room she didn't recognise. The bed was huge, soft and luxurious, with soft blue blankets and pillows. The walls were a lighter shade of pale blue, with curtains that matched the beddingdrawn closed over the large window.

Thinking back, she vaguely remembered falling asleep in the car the the previous night; when they'd finally decided that he was stable enough to travel once more. She hadn't slept much at the hotel the previous night; drifting in and out of sleep as she was disturbed by her thoughts and the need to check on both him and the baby every few minutes for her own peace of mind. She wasn't sure he'd slept that much either; although it had appeared like he was at points.

Turning to the side, she saw him laying besides her; face next to hers on the pillow. "Hey."

"Hey." Gently, he traced his fingers down her face. "You fell asleep in the car. I carried you in."

"Aw." She smiled. "You didn't have to do that."

"I know." He grinned, pecking her lips.

Slowly, they both sat up; Nyx rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. "Where's the baby?"

"In the other room. She fell asleep in the car too."

She was not asleep. She was still in her baby carrier on an armchair in the corner as they didn't have a crib as of yet; just staring at them with wide eyes as they came into the room.

"She's very alert." Nyx observed, crouching next to the child. "Hey, little one." She chuckled at the baby's confused expression; noting with caution the strange black nails on the baby's tiny fingers. "Do you know where she comes from?"

"I rescued her from Lilith. That is all."

"Aw..." Nyx cooed, turning her attention back to the child; her concern about the child quickly being swallowed by concern for the child. "Poor baby! That must have been terrible! Don't worry now, you're safe with me." Steeling her confidence, she reached forwards, unstrapping the baby from the carrier. "Come on, let's get you fed and cleaned."

The baby did not want to be picked up; as Nyx tried, she tensed herself up and screeched in objection like a frightened baby animal. Keen not to distress the child further, Nyx quickly gave up; clipping the baby back into the seat and picking it up by the handle instead. "We'll make it work."

As they walked out onto the landing, he gave her brief directions around the house. "So, your room's next to the baby's, that's my room and my office is down there. Kitchen, dining room, living room... all downstairs. Sure you're going to be alright?"

"I'm sure I can manage."

With a smile, he kissed her on the cheek and disappeared into his office.

***

The baby was very quiet. It was almost slightly unsettling; she was used to Abigail, who'd been quite a restless baby.
Nyx had put the baby carrier on the kitchen table as she worked to prepare a bottle; and the child just stared at her fixatedly, following her around the kitchen with her eyes.

This time when she approached the baby with the bottle, the child put her arms out to receive it eagerly; having now learnt it's purpose. Nyx was surprised when the baby strongly seized the bottle, dragging it towards her mouth; evidently perfectly capable of feeding herself. How old was this child? Nyx couldn't really tell; sometimes she seemed a more mature and developed baby, but other times she seemed very young indeed.
As she sucked, the child once again returned her gaze to meet Nyx's, watching her curiously; evaluating her in turn.

Nyx chuckled awkwardly, somehow feeling unnerved by this. Mentally, she scolded herself; it was just a baby, there was nothing to be worried about.
Since the child was fine, she turned and went about making a quick bite of breakfast for herself.

The child was still watching her; she could feel its eyes on her back.

I kinda feel like this chapter needs music, but I couldn't find anything that worked. XD
Please, vote and comment your thoughts! :D