Returning

"Holy shit, did you see that?" Nyx was practically giddy as she hurried along beside Perry, each of them taking their turn to glance back down the street behind them, checking to see if they were pursued. "That was... awesome! It felt so good!"

"Well, I'm glad you're happy." Perry said. "Now calm down, you've gotten way too hyped up on your magic."

"Showed her who's boss." Nyx grinned. "I got her good! She's frightened me for so long- so long, I can't even- but I got her!"

"Yes, yes. You really put her in her place. We should probably get you home."

"She knows better than to cross me now!" Nyx cackled, running her fingertips over the reflective surface of a metal fence, phantom fingers emerging to play with hers. "The night is so young! We could do anything we wanted."

"Yes, yes, you're a marvel." Perry glanced around again, looking unsettled. "Can we head to yours? We should probably go, before either the ice queen or your mysterious maybe-boyfriend gets it in their head to come looking."

Nyx scoffed. "Coward. What, you worried about my boyfriend or something? You'll be fine, you're with me."

"Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. Not sure how good it would look that I'm the guy you went running to."

Nyx pouted. "Fine, fine. Guess I've got to go home sometime." She tipped her head back and groaned. "Serious conversations are hard."

"Yup. Come on, let's go. It's getting frosty out here."

They walked down the winding streets towards the house, Perry's hands tucked into jacket pockets, Nyx looking around wide-eyed at the world painted in monochrome through its nightly veil, the exhilaration of the evening still thrumming through her veins.

The house was dark and quiet as they came to it. The door opened easily onto the dark hall. "... Hello?" Nyx called out, slinking inside, Perry following curiously behind her. "Is... anyone here?"

"Maybe they went out?" Perry suggested.

"Maybe they're upstairs." Silently putting her foot on the stairs, Nyx began to climb up.

There was a light spilling from the nursery. Slowly, she approached, pushing open the door.

There he stood, bathed in lamplight, Grizelda curled up asleep in his arms. As he heard her approach, he raised a finger to his lips, "Shh, she's sleeping." And he turned to look at her with pitch black eyes.

Nyx visibly gulped.

A/N: I'm back! (Obviously)
Please like, comment and share! XD