runaway child (rick grimes)

I had been running my entire life, when I found Rick and his group, I was a sixteen year old teenager who was scared of the world. I didn't trust anyone, I lost everyone around me and I was terrified of being alone. Five years on, I was a warrior, I was a fighter and I would die for my family, Rick was my home. This was all I ever wanted. I grab my knife, as I ran through the woods with one of my best friends, Aaron, who had taken me on one of my first runs when I was younger. Aaron was dating Eric, they had a child together called Gracie, Eric was gone now, so he was a single father raising his baby, I did feel sorry for him, but this world had been cruel to us all. "Are you good?" He looked over at me, "Always." He smiled, as I nudged him. "So, are you gonna tell me what's up with you and Grimes?" He smirked, as I roll my eyes. "Aaron, seriously?" I laughed, as we got to the clearing, we weren't that far from home. "Oh come on, you are totally into him." He looked into the distance, as I sighed. "Rick's like a dad to me. And he's kept me going for years. I don't know where I'd be without him." I didn't see the drop, when I trip and I fell down this massive crater like hole. "Y/n! Oh my god.. are you okay?" Aaron called down to me, as I flinched, I had hit my head pretty badly. "Yeah.. yeah, I'm fine." My head was pounding, something didn't feel good. I look down, seeing my thigh was trapped on this broken metal pole, "Aaron, I can't move my legs.." I try and sit up.

"God damn it." He whispered, as he looked around, he grabbed a walkey from his bag, "This is Aaron.. I need urgent backup.. y/n is really injured. We need help." He couldn't come down here without hurting himself in the process. "Just leave me, Aaron, I'll be fine." I flinch, as he frowned. "Not a chance. I'm never leaving you. Just stay awake for me, you're gonna be fine." Daryl and Rick came running over, "Shit." Daryl looked at me, as him and Rick gave each other a look. "Guys, I'm seriously fine." I sighed, as Rick jumped down, my eyes widened. "Damn." He walked over to me, as he leaned down. "Can you move at all?" He asked, "Barely." I pull myself up a bit, as he looked down at my leg, "I'm gonna lift your leg up a little, okay?" He pulled me up into his arms, as I cried out in pain. "It's okay, you'll be okay." Rick carried me out of there, before I felt like I was blacking out, "Stay awake, c'mon." Daryl grabbed my hand, as I suddenly felt very nauseous and I passed out, I couldn't stay awake. When I woke up, I was in the infirmary, my leg was patched up and I was somehow alive. "What the hell happened?" I whisper, Rick was sat beside me. "You almost died, y/n. You lost so much blood." He frowned, as I watch him. "I'm sorry I scared you, Rick." He kissed my forehead. "Just rest up, okay? You need to sleep." He squeezed my hand, as I thought about telling Rick how I had been feeling. "I thought I lost you, y/n- and that absolutely destroyed me. As a man. As someone who lo- cares for you. More than you know."

I frown, as I take a shaky breath. "I'm sorry, Rick. But I'm still here. I'll never let you down." I kiss his cheek, as he smiled a little at me. "I can count on you, y/n. Always. And god, you are worth it." He let me go, before he left me alone. I take a deep breath, before I lean back, "I love you, Rick." I whispered, as I knew I'd never be able to admit that to him. But little did I know, he had heard me, just a little bit, Rick left the infirmary with a huge smile on his face.

He knew what he needed to. That was enough.