Songbird (Rick)

I never knew what my life would be, I was always left guessing, I just wanted to have a normal life, but that wasn't even possible anymore because of the apocalypse, life didn't really seem normal anymore, not really, not like it was meant to be, but I didn't really know what home was, so I just kept on waiting for something, anything. When I first met Rick, I thought he would change my life, and he did, he was the leader, he kept us strong, and overtime, my small, teenage crush, became deep, deep love, and I was in love with him. I was 20 years old, he was double my age, so I knew that it couldn't ever happen, I had to stay away, but it hurt, so I made the choice to leave. I had to leave after years of being with him, with our family. Our group.

I sat on the edge of my bed, watching the sky, it was starting to get dark, but I knew it was probably best to go late at night, I wouldn't be seen and I could move quickly. I had packed my bags, I was ready to go, I only had to wait until it was darker, maybe another hour, I could sneak out, easily enough, without being seen. I left Rick a note, so he didn't freak out, but I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye, I was too scared to tell him the truth. I put the paper on my bed, before I grab my backpack, I had to travel light, I would be on the road for a while and I didn't have a load with me anyway.

I stood up, ready to get the hell out of here, I turn towards my door, and I see Daryl stood there, arms crossed, an angry expression on his face. "What the hell are you doin'?" He frowned, he noticed my things were gone, and it clicked. "Are you.. you ain't leavin'? Surely not?" He didn't understand where this had come from all of a sudden. I take a deep breath, "I am leaving. You're right." I nodded, he blocked the doorway. "No. I don't think so." He had a playful look in his face, but I knew he was serious about it. "You can't force me to stay here." I stood forwards, determined.

He looked down at me, "You have no reason to leave, Y/N. This is ridiculous. You want me to get Rick here?" He was threatening, but I knew it was just Daryl being Daryl. "No, no you don't have to do that. Just let me go, god damn." I turn away from him, annoyed as I looked down. "Tell me why. Why now? You could of left anytime, but you chose now." He quickly grabbed the note off my bed. "Don't read that!" I shouted, but it was too late. "Damn. You're in love with Rick? That's why you're leavin'?" He looked at me, confused. "That don't make sense." He frowned. "Stay there." He took my note and he left the room, I start panicking, he would show Rick and it would be even worse. I quickly open the window, It wasn't too far to jump, so I did exactly that. I jump from the ledge and down onto the grass below, luckily I don't hurt myself, as I landed on my backpack. I quickly stand, before heading towards an open gap in the back way, I duck through and I manage to run into the woods. I was out. I made it. "Shit, she's gone.." I heard Rick's voice, just about. "Daryl, round up the others! I'll go through the back. Take the front!" Rick commanded, I dart through the woods further, before I decide to climb up a tree, to hide myself a bit better. I wasn't a prisoner, I didn't understand why he would go after me so quickly, like he cared. I knew he didn't. I was a kid to him. I didn't matter.

I heard running, footsteps quickly moving toward me, so I held my breath, I was sat on the top of a thick branch, just trying to be as quiet as possible. I couldn't believe how far I went to get away, but I couldn't go back now. It was too much. "Damn it. Y/N!" Rick called out, he was literally right below me, I had to be silent, he couldn't see me, since it was dark and I hoped he wouldn't find me. "I read your letter. I get it, okay? You're scared. And you're embarrassed because I'm older than you, but you don't have to be.. don't be scared. We're in the fuckin' apocalypse and age don't mean shit. We can be together. I care about you, a damn lot. We can make it work." He explained, I couldn't believe what I heard, did he mean it?

I start breathing slowly, as I felt tears fall down my face, if this branch gave way, I was done for. I couldn't hear anyone else, just him breathing, and he looked around again. There was a light coming out of the trees and it hit his face, against his eyes, and that's when his head turned and he saw me. FUCK. He saw me. "Really? A tree? Why didn't I think of that?" He just laughed, as I rolled my eyes. "Such a charmer, Grimes." I breathe in relief, just as I gave in, I slipped and I fell onto my back, hitting my head. "Shit!" I flinched, as Rick grabbed onto my neck. "Jesus, are you okay?" He pulled me into his arms and he looked me over. "That.. was a very stupid thing to do, Y/N. Why the fuck did you run away?" He shakes his head, clearly pissed at me. "Daryl, I got her. Head back." He called over to Daryl, who had found us. "Gotcha." He just gave me a look, like he was pleased with himself. Asshole.

"My leg really hurts." I flinched, as I noticed a massive branch was stuck in my thigh. "Oh, shit." I grab onto Rick even tighter, panicking and he kissed my head. "Don't worry. Let's get you back. We can patch this up." He smiled. "So, are we gonna go.. or?" He was just stood there, just looking at me. "What?" I was confused, I didn't really know what to say. "Hang on, you just.." He leaned forward and he suddenly kissed me, and I kissed back instantly, moving my arm around his neck. He smiled and we made out a little bit, before I pull back, "Let's go." I bite my lip, he smirked and he led me back inside.

Later on, I was sat in bed, a bandage around my thigh, it hurt a little, but it wasn't a deep wound luckily. I yawn, as I laid down, looking around. "Hey, soldier." I turn and see Rick, he pecked my lips and he laid down with me. "What are you doing? People will see-" I frown and I felt his lips on mine again, he kissed me gently, moving his hand around my back. "Fuck what people say." He whispered, he looked at my eyes and I sighed. "I can't." I look down, as I turn away from him. "What? Why? Christ, Y/n. I don't fuckin' care what people say. I love you. Jesus. It's like you want to push me away." He snapped, I scoffed. "Don't fucking flatter yourself, Rick. What kind of person am I, for falling for the fucking leader, the weakest, the stupid little girl who can't get over her parents death and my entire life is gone and I'm meant to praise you?" I broke down, as I ran my hands through my hair. "I just don't want to hurt anymore. I want to be free. I want to be free from this pain."

He looked at me, before he grabbed my face, and he looked deeply into my eyes. "You're not on your own. I'm here. I'm always here. I'll be here, even when you can't god damn see me. I'm here because I care for you, more than you know. I fuckin' love you. And I can't lose you now. Not when this has just started." His voice cracked, as he held back tears, I held onto his shirt, as I look at his, sad eyes. "I'm so sorry." I whispered, as I held him even tighter than before, I shut my eyes, and I just didn't feel a thing, I just felt his heartbeat.

And I felt love.