in my heart you'll always live on (daryl)

"Rick, I can't do this anymore." I whispered, as I felt on the verge of collapsing, we had finally made it back to Alexandria, but I wasn't okay. I was far from okay, I couldn't do this again. "We made it, y/n. We're here, stay with me please." Rick held onto my face, as I felt the tears roll down my cheeks. "Please be happy. You're so brave, Rick. You have kept us going all these years. I believe in you. And you'll always be the best. To me." I kiss his cheek, as he shakes his head. "No. No, you ain't doin' this to me. Not to me! I god damn need ya, y/n. And so does Daryl and- and Michonne- Carl-" I let go of his hands, as I wipe my tears away. I take a breath, as I looked at him. "Daryl doesn't need me. Not anymore. He doesn't love me, he loves Connie. I was never his priority. I've learned to live with it." He watched me, "You'll break his heart if you walk away." He frowned, "Then lie to him. Tell him I died. You tell him I'm never going to come back, I'm gone for good." He looked stuck for words, but I knew this was the best thing to do. "Thank you, Rick. You will always be a part of me." I kiss his cheek, before I turn and walk away, he didn't stop me. He watched me leave, but I knew that this was for the best. It had to be. When I looked back, he was already going inside the gates, alone. I couldn't imagine Daryl's face when he saw I wasn't there, but I knew this was the best thing to do, I couldn't go back there anymore.

I found an abandoned hut in the woods, there was no one inside, it was all broken up, but mostly standing. It had been hours now, since I'd left Rick and gone my own way. I sit down on the ground, when I heard someone walking around outside, I hide behind the wall, as I try and stay as silent as possible. I slowly glance across, when I saw Daryl was in the woods, he looked mad. Shit. He didn't believe I was dead, then. This was never good. Daryl was a good hunter, he was so good that he could find anyone or anything in seconds. I couldn't make a sound or he would find me, I'd have to go back. He would make me go back. I slowly pull myself up, as I silently move around, when my foot snaps a branch and he turned around, looking right at me. "Great, so not only is Rick a god damn liar, my so called best friend is too." He lowered his cross bow, as he pulled me into the tree. "I can't explain why I did it, okay?" He wasn't buying it. "Bullshit. You know that I'd come looking for ya, why did you lie to me?" I look away, as I wasn't sure what to say. "I had to." I watch him, as he grabbed my arm. "We're going back. Come on." I stop him, as I pull myself away. "No, Daryl. I'm not going back. I'm done with the group and with all of it. I want to be alone, okay?" He frowned, confused. "Why? What about me? What about us? We're family." He didn't seem convinced. "I can't stay knowing you love Connie, Daryl. Because I love you. I loved you first. I won't stand by and let you love someone else because I don't want to be in a world where you don't look at me like that." I admitted, he frowned, shocked. "Connie is my friend, y/n. Nothing between us. You know how I feel about you." He sighed as he grabbed my hands. "I- I do love ya. Always have." He mumbled, I bite my lip as I look into his eyes. "I love you too." He pulled me into a hug, as I held onto his back, closing my eyes. "Come home, you dumb ass."

"Only for you, Dixon."