as the world caves in (rick/daryl)

"We're running out of time, Grimes."

This was it. We had finally seen the world turn to shit, it was coming. There wasn't anything left that we could do, Rick was on the bridge, I had stayed with him until the end, but the walkers were coming, we couldn't do anything else. "Come here, darlin'." He held his hand out to me, as I watch his eyes, the boxes of dynamite were so close to us, as the herd came close, I shake my head, as I ran into his arms, hugging him tightly as I cried into his shoulder, he kissed my forehead, as he smiled. "We were so good, weren't we?" He whispered, as the tears ran down my face, I shake my head and I lean against him, "Shut up, don't talk like that. This isn't going to stop us, Rick. We're endgame. We always win. Won't we?" I kiss his cheek, as I saw the others running, but they were too far away, we wouldn't be able to get to them in time, "Daryl!" I shouted to him, his eyes filled with pain as he watched his two best friends, knowing this would be the final moment he had with us. My heart cracked, as I grab Rick's hand, he watched me, as I look back at Rick, he smiled, but he was sad. This was our final time. Our final shot. "I love you, y/n." I smile, as I kiss his hand. "I love you, Rick. I'll always love you." I wrap my arms around his neck, as I knew that being with him was all I needed. "I found 'em." Rick held the gun to the exposed dynamite, as there is a huge explosion, I held onto him tightly as we both fell.

When I began to wake up, there was ruin everywhere around me. I look around, as I realised Rick was still beside me, we had survived. "Rick?" I whisper, as I slowly move to take his hand, his eyes started to open, as he looked at me. "Y/n?" I smile, in relief, before I kiss him, he kissed me back, as I held him in my arms. "Leave me." He whispered, I frowned. "What? No. No, I'm not leaving. I'll never leave you." I was so confused, my heart broke that he didn't want me to stay. "Go.. go- go find Daryl. And the others. Tell them.. tell them you couldn't find me. Tell them that I'm gone.. you have a chance. You can do this. Leave me." He looked at me, as I realised he was right. I couldn't let Daryl go. Not yet. I couldn't leave them, I needed them. But I needed Rick too. Jadis appeared, as I look at her. I slowly stand. "Take him somewhere safe. Bring him back, okay? Just.. never return to this place." I told her, she agreed. Jadis and Rick leave in a helicopter, as I kiss his head, one last time. I slowly turn, before I manage to walk back into the woods, I didn't know if I'd find them again, I was terrified. My legs felt like they were on fire, my heart was broken. Daryl was sat in the same place, he was crying. He hadn't left the spot I last looked at him. I cry out, as he turned. "Y/n." The relief filled his face, as he pulled me into his arms. "Did you miss me?" I smirked, as he didn't let me go, as I fell to my knees, he held me tight. "Where's Rick? What happened?" I shake my head, "He's gone, Daryl. He's gone. I couldn't find him." I lean against his shoulder, as he cradled me in his arms, he just nodded. "I'm coming home." I whisper, as I kiss his cheek, my body aching. "Never leave me again." He told me, his face pained. I nodded.

"Never again. Promise."