find me in the darkness (Rick/Negan)

Seven years. Seven years since Rick's death. It had been dreadful, trying to get over the death of someone you loved since he first saved you from your parents after they'd turned and tried to kill you, Rick found me and he made me better, he made me strong again and now he was dead. I had never got over it. I didn't think I ever would. After all this time. And it cut me in half that I couldn't move on, I loved him so much after all this time and I had to go back, I had to try and find him if I could.

Leaving the group would be hard, they were my family and I loved them, but I had to go, it was right. It was what Rick would want. So, I left. In the middle of the night, I took off and I didn't look back, it broke me that I'd leave Daryl, who was like my best friend, all of them were my life and I was leaving it all behind to find the man I couldn't let go of, but I just had to see if there was some type of chance.

I had just left Alexandria, I was walking through the woods, when I felt someone grab my arm and pull me back against a tree. "What in fuckin' gods name are ya doin'?" It was Daryl. Of course he found me. Typical tracker. "I'm going to find Rick. I know he's out there and I'm not giving up." I sighed deeply, but I knew he'd be angry. "Rick's dead, y/n! Enough with this shit. Yer coming back with me." He grabs my arm and I shove him, he growled. "No. I love Rick. And I never told him. I can't give up." I shake my head and he sighed.

"Ever think maybe you could fall in love with someone.. I don't know.. who's had yer back for the past seven years?" He admitted. I was quite surprised. Was he being serious? "Tell me this is a joke. You can't be serious." I sighed. "Nah, not me. I meant Negan. He mentioned it to me." He shrugged, like he wasn't phased. "Negan? What the fuck?" I didn't believe it. Negan loved me? Since when? "Since when did you and Negan become friends?"

"We ain't friends. Fuck that. He just told me a passin' comment. That's it." He groaned, annoyed as he grabbed my hand. "Don't go." He squeezed my hand and I just hug him, he hugged me tightly. "One day, you'll understand why I did this." I whisper, I kiss his cheek and he just gave in, and he let me leave. "Come back to us, y/n." He said, before he left. "Always." I just ran off into the darkness.

It had been weeks, weeks of walking, complaining, killing walkers and odd people, but I had ended up in Virginia and it was so weird being so far away from the others. I lean against the sign, 'Welcome to Virginia' and I just take a deep breath, just feeling like I was never going to find him, like it was the end already. I felt defeated and just burnt out.

"Woah, easy boy.." I heard a man, not too far away from me, he was on a horse, I couldn't see his face, he had it covered, but he didn't seem phased by me, as he went past. I just look down, I wanted to cry. It broke my heart that I couldn't save Rick, that was all I ever wanted to do. "God damn it!" I groaned in frustration, as I walked across the road, when the horse suddenly stopped and I heard the guy get off his horse, I turned around and I dropped my water bottle on the ground, when I saw who he was, my breathing became shallow.

"Holy fuck. Y/n?!" Rick Grimes was stood in front of me, and he was alive. He was breathing and I almost passed out. He remembered me and I almost screamed with pure joy. "Oh my god, Rick.." I felt tears hitting my eyes as he pulled me into his arms, giving me a bone crushing hug, but I didn't care. He was here and I couldn't believe it. It was perfect. "You have no idea how good it is to hold you. My god, I thought you were dead."

"I couldn't come back, y/n. I tried. God knows I tried, but I was so far away and I didn't know how to get back to you all." He held onto my shoulders, it felt so good to look at him and speak to him. "I miss you so much. You have no idea." I shake my head and I smile, he just looked at me. "I should of told you that I loved you so long ago." I sigh deeply, and he just smiled, "I've known for a long time, y/n. I knew. Daryl knew. Everyone did." He kissed my forehead. "I can't come back. I'm sorry."

"You have to. I spent so long trying to find you. I can't go back without you." I shake my head, confused. "I love you. Always. But you need to go. Go and love someone else. Be happy." He held me closer, "Negan is one of us now.." I sighed, he just nodded. "I knew one day he would. I knew that deep down, he was a good person. We have to forgive and forget sometimes." He just kissed my cheek. "Be happy. I know you'll love again."

Rick left me. He walked away, I would never be able to tell them that I'd been in his arms, that he was still alive. He didn't want to. He didn't want to be with us anymore. And it broke me. But, I knew that I would have a chance with Negan, maybe I would grow to love him? I had to try, didn't I?

I picked up my things, I left Virginia and I didn't look back, Rick was alive and that was all I needed to know. He was loved and maybe one day, I'd just have to let it go. The love I had for him would just fade away, and I would maybe love Negan. A part of me always did have a thing for him, ever since the Sanctuary, but now it was gone and Negan was good? Even if that was a thing, he was better.

It had been a couple of months now, since I left Rick in Virginia, but I was back at Alexandria, me and Negan had been working on things, he was my best friend in a way, but a part of me had always loved him, and if that was my only chance of happiness, I'd do it. I went to go and find him, he was usually around, gardening or some shit, I headed to the garden, and I saw Negan sat by the graves of Abraham and Glenn. I was shocked, it had been years since he had murdered them, but I guessed he felt guilty, maybe he regretted it.

I watched from a distance silently, just feeling sadness for him, was he crying? It sounded like he was. I didn't want to scare him, so I gently sat down beside him, staying silent, he looked at me, wiping his eyes, "I wish I had never done it. I didn't think. I was such an asshole back then, I didn't care. But now, it should of been me." He looked down, but he was good. He didn't deserve it. "You don't deserve death. Yes, you did a bad thing, something I thought I'd never forgive you for.. but, I do. I forgive you. And I love you for realising that." I smile softly, as he looked back at me.

"You love.. me?" He watched me, carefully. "One day, you'll get it. And between me and you, Rick would forgive you too." I kiss his cheek softly, standing up and I walk away, leaving him to think on what I had said. Maybe it would be okay, maybe there was light at the end of the tunnel? Who knew.

Around half three that evening, I heard a knock at my front door. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, dragging myself out of bed and down the stairs, I open the door, Negan stood there. I didn't know how to react, I was surprised. "Oh. Hey." I watched him, just confused what he was doing. "I love you, y/n." He confessed, I look at his eyes and I just suddenly kiss him, I wrap my arms around his neck as he kissed me sweetly, and we shared a moment underneath the moonlight. It really was perfect.

Maybe it would be okay, after all.