15: Great General's Birthday 2

"Everyone..."

Don Enrico called loudly. Doña Silvanna even used her fork and glass to make a sound just to get their attention.

"Thank you, Silvanna." The Don said to his wife and then faced the silenced crowd once again.

They curiously looked at them. Even Doña Margarita and General Vicente did so too because they didn't remember to have asked the don to do some speaking in front of everyone.

"Everyone, I'd like to say few things in front of all of you. First, let me greet Great General Vicente once again a happy birthday. You might have aged a year today but we all know that you are still very much in your prime. Let me propose a toast for your continuous success in every battle you will still have in this lifetime."

They all drank for that and then Don Enrico continued to speak.

"Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to announce some thing important as I know every easential people in L City has surely come here tonight."

He paused for a moment, his eyes looked amongst at the crowd. And when he saw Yumi, he smiled and continued.

"Everyone, please be my witness as I bestow Binibining Mayumi Sybill a right to study Medicine and become a legal doctor as soon as she graduates. This is to say, whatever a lad student of Medicine is learning, she will be also learning the same thing too.

"I believe that her skills have proven us that she can be a better doctor and no one in this room today can oppose me when I say that she deserves to study Medicine very much."

This announcement shocked everyone in the room.

Yumi, of course, knew about this matter already since it was one of her personal wish to the Don but she was still surprised dahil hindi niya alam na sa ganitong paraan ipapaalam ng don ang kanyang pagsuporta sa pag-aaral niya ng medisina.

"Oh my..." Victoria said beside her. Then she pushed her gently patungo sa unahan kung nasaan ang don.

Along the way, Yumi hugged Doña Margarita. If there was anyone who supported her dream to become a doctor, it was her Lola definitely.

Anyway, once she was at the front, Doctor Erasmus came forward too to officially announced her admission in Medicine Course.

***

The high for that party lasted for several more days.

Mainly, people had talked about Don Enrico's announcement hanggang kumalat na ito hanggang sa bayan.

Some were agreeing to this as no one in the city was exactly ignorant about Yumi's success in Medicine.

But of course, there were still some people who were skeptical about this. After all, they were so used in Male Doctors and Female Nurses.

Although Yumi had her good reputation, they were still uncertain whether she would  be as good as men.

Meanwhile, Yumi and the rest of his family were not really listening to the arguments outside. They were so proud of Yumi that they could only feel happy for her admission for her dream course.

Today though, another announcement astonished Yumi, Amelia, Daichi and Asahi.

They were having lunch together when Koshi said that he would be going to the capital with Mateo.

"Why?" Kunot noong tanong ni Daichi.

"I apply as Military Doctor. Ninang Erika took me under her tutelage and said she will train me personally."

Koshi spoke about Erika Dela Cruz, isa sa mga ninang ni Yumi. He called her Ninang too dahil na rin napagdesisyunan ng tatlo (Erika, Gretel at Kristoff) na maging godparents na rin ng lahat ng anak ni Amelia.

"Erika never mentioned this to me." Amelia said.

"That's because I ask her to keep it to you, Mama. I'd like to say it personally."

"Sure ka na ba dito, Koshi? Military Doctors still need to be tough in order to go out there to wars." Alalang tanong ni Asahi sa kapatid.

Koshi just chuckled. "Of course, Kuya Asahi. All these time, I have been passive about what I want. You, Kuya Daichi and Yumi have found your passions while I was just going with the flow since I didn't know what exactly what I want.

"But after I met Ninang Erika and talked with Mateo, I realize what I want to do now. Military Doctor just suits me so much."

"Are you certain this isn't just a whim of yours?" Daichi asked.

"I am sure."

Koshi continued to convince their family about this decision of his. Only Yumi remained quiet.

***

"You are eerily quiet inside, Mayumi. Wala ka man lang bang masasabi about sa desisyon ko?" Koshi asked Yumi who went to the balcony after nilang magsikain.

She was sipping tea there while looking at the bustle outside. This balcony of theirs were unlike the ones in the Sybill Mansion. This one was overlooking the busy market outside.

"I'd say... If I didn't know how fed up you are in Medicine already, ay baka naniwala talaga akong Military Doctor ang inapplyan mo kay Mateo." Yumi said quietly.

Natigilan naman si Koshi.

"Did he say anything to you?"

"I never saw him yet since after the birthday party of Papa." Yumi put down the teacup and directly looked at Koshi. "You are my closest brother. Do you think you can hide the truth from me?"

Napakamot na lang sa ulo niya si Koshi saka ngumiti.

"I guess, I can deceive everyone except you."

"Of course."

He sat in front of Yumi and Muna served him tea too.

"You are right. I didn't apply as Military Doctor. But rather as Mateo's War Strategist. I lied because they will definitely be worried at baka hindi pa nila ako payagan."

"It is a wise decision to do so. But then again, sigurado ka na ba? Although I am not worried about your brain, Kuya, I still cannot help to be disturbed by your fighting skills. Kung alam ko lang na ganito pala ang gusto mo, ipanasanay na sana kita kay Kami o kay Rui."

"Mateo said he will train me personally. Don't worry. Besides, kelan ko lang din naman narealize na ito pala ang gusto ko. I have been having this crisis all my life at kung hindi pa tumira kasama natin si Mateo sa Q Province ay hindi ko pa malalaman ang gusto kong gawin sa buhay."

"Tch. That lad is really a bad influence."

Koshi chuckled. "That lad is your fiancee."

"Yeah, you are right." Yumi sighed deeply. "Well, just come back to us alive. We are still in dangerous times. Especially at nagkalat ang mga rebelde ngayon."

"I will, Yumi." He stood up and walked towards her. "Give me a boosting hug."

She stood up too saka pinagbigyan ang kapatid at niyakap ito.

Though her eyes squinted and her mind was thinking hard.

She got to talk with Mateo.

***