37: Challenge 4

The two pairs did well with their performance. It was to expect though since they were from Principalia family. It was natural for them to get this talented as they were tutored with these arts since they were children.

Yumi, of course, knew this. That's also why she tactfully evaded the challenge.

First, as Yumi, she only knew how to sing and dance in modernly sense.

Second, as Mayumi, she never learned these arts at all. She grew up learning medicine. She wasn't especially tutored to sing and dance dahil na rin hindi naman sobra sobra ang natatanggap na pera nila Lolo Pikit noon sa pagvvolunteer nila bilang manggamot at sa mga trabaho nila Daichi at Asahi.

She, herself, opted out for getting tutored and instead focused herself in studying medicine.

And, even after she arrived in L City, she became too busy that learning these arts were no longer in her priority. She was a doctor. The best in her class despite being the only lady there. Why did she need to prove her talent by singing and dancing?

Her talent was way beyond that.

But she couldn't say that out loud in front of these people, of course. They would definitely think she was boasting so instead, she dodged the bullet tactfully by putting Victoria and Malia on hotspot.

She knew they wouldn't disappoint her anyway.

Anyhow, despite the two pairings did well at halos hindi makapamili si Doña Labella kung sino ang mas lamang sa kanila, Agatha and Helena were feeling bitter about this situation.

They were expecting to annihilate Yumi and ruin her reputation completely just by this challenge.

Obviously, they had realized from the reports they had received that Yumi might have an amazing fame in L City but there was never an instance that she showcased her talent in these two arts.

But they were outsmarted by her and now they couldn't ruin her. Instead, they faced off with these two who might be in the same level of talent as they were but suppressed them in terms of family background.

Being Great General's daughter had definitely ousted their status.

And even if it was just a small difference in title to their General fathers, it was still a big deal for them lalo na kay Helena na sanay na palaging nakakalamang sa iba.

Before Yumi and Victoria, she was only second to Lavina and Isabella in terms of status. As for talent, no one could be in her level not even those two. Agatha might be talented too but not in her level.

Now these Victoria and Malia arrived and they were on the same level as her.

She hated this.

Anyway, Doña Labella couldn't choose who would be the winner for this round. So she just decided to give the four of them tokens.

"You four did so well, I cannot choose who are better pairing. I will just give the four of you presents since your performances really please me and everyone in this venue."

The doña waved her hand and four maids came out with small boxes on their hands. Each of them contained a peineta inlaid with pearls of different sizes and flower petals.

Those peinetas were very beautiful and obviously made out of high quality materials. They were naturally rare and even from the mainland, only few ladies could wear them.

The maids handed those boxes of peinetas to Agatha, Helena, Victoria and Malia, and the four of them quickly thanked the doña.

This pleased the older woman and with a smile she dismissed the four ladies so they could now move on to the next challenge.

Yumi naturally followed Malia and Victoria pabalik sa pwesto nila sa dulong bahagi ng kanang mesa.

Ngunit hindi pa man siya tuluyang nakakalayo when someone stopped her.

"Wait for a moment, Binibining Yumi." It was Amara.

Agatha and Helena just came back to their seats and also looked towards Amara who said that.

Malia and Victoria consciously looked at Yumi who stopped walking and looked at Amara too.

Her face had confused expression but deep inside, she was trying hard not to contort her face out of disappointment and to groan out loud.

Oh no, she just successfully evaded a predicament. Don't tell her this lady want to put her in a difficult situation too?

Agad na nasagot ang katanungan niyang iyon when Amara had spoken again.

But first she stood up and gave a slight bow towards Doña Labella.

"I am sorry, Doña Labella. I know I should also be stepping back right now to give way for the other single ladies here. But after I have seen those peinetas, I just can't help feeling envious towards these four ladies." Amara started. "So since Binibining Yumi is also betrothed like me... Will you allow the two of us to compete instead?"

This stunned the Doña at first. Then she began to laugh.

"Oh, you silly... Of course, you can compete with her given that both of you are betrothed. But it still depends to Binibining Yumi if she will accept your challenge."

Yumi tried so hard not to show the twitching of her mouth. Ah, really...

Unfortunately, she couldn't extract herself to this challenge anymore. This lady was also betrothed so challenging her was just valid.

Seeing that everyone was waiting for her, she smiled and agreed at once.

Well, damn... Here's go nothing then.

"Thank you, Binibining Yumi. Don't worry. I might really like the peineta that will be rewarded but if you win, I will not make a fuss at all." Amara said.

"I am not worried." Yumi simply told her back. Then she looked back at Malia and Victoria who didn't have anything on their faces but she knew they were worried on her behalf.

She nodded at them as assurance and asked them to go back to their table first. Afterwards, she walked back at the front to join Amara there.

Lihim namang nagkatinginan sila Lavina, Isabella, Agatha at Helena. Then a knowing smile appeared on their faces.

It was true that they were disappointed kanina dahil na rin nakaligtas si Yumi sa challenge nila. But... they also indeed had forgotten about Amara.

Amongst them, she was the only one who had been betrothed. It was an engagement bestowed by her father and his friend. Since she was a kid, she knew that she was going to marry her father's friend's son.

And the four of them were also aware of that since bata pa lang din silang lima ay halos magkakasama na silang palagi.

Anyway, what they were really being thrilled about was the fact na si Amara mismo ang humamon kay Yumi. The interest for peinetas was just fake, they knew.

Amara was someone who didn't like accessories that much. Unlike the four of them, she was raised to be tough and just exactly like a general's daughter.

Her talent for the arts was not that strong but... her skill with war weapons was unsurpassed. Even lads had to think twice facing off with her.

Now that she challenged Yumi, she would definitely play using her strength.

And this was what made them happier.

This Yumi...

She was surely meant to lose face right now.

***