116: Lifeless

If Doctor Benedicto and Don Enrico expected that they would really be able to escape, well, they should have done better.

The moment they came out from the tower, they were met by the four generals. They tried to fight but it was futile.

In the end, they died too.

Meanwhile, Mateo got news that Rui was able to get Kami's body and brought it in one of the rooms in Governor General's mansion. Amelia attended to him at once too.

However, the situation was still not good.

Kami received too much damage. He was injured, broken and burned.

His life was barely even hanging on a thread.

Mateo was unsure how to tell Yumi about him.

He saw how she almost lost it when Kami's aircraft crashed. If she knew that he was dying, wouldn't that be like putting her through again to that situation?

In the end though, he still decided to tell Yumi about it. After all, he knew how much important Kami for his little wife. The relationship between the two was something he had long been accepted that he couldn't compete at all.

And so, when Yumi told him that she wanted to see Kami, inihatid pa niya ang asawa sa kwarto kung nasasaan ang binata.

Malia got there first. Inabutan nila na umiiyak ang dalaga sa gilidan ni Kami.

"Malia, let's go." Inalalayan pa ni Mateo ang kapatid paalis sa gilidan ng binata.

He gave Yumi a one last glance before he closed the door and left Yumi and Kami in that room.

***

"Kuya..." Malia called out Mateo as soon as they left the room.

"Un?"

"What happen to Gwen?"

"She was taken to jail for now. I reckon Yumi would want to take care of her later."

"I want to take care of her now. Can you let me?"

Mateo was silent for a moment.

"I won't let her go, I promise. She did that to Kami. How can I let her go just like that? I have enough paying evil with goodness. This debt of hers to me and Yumi... It can only be appease through her sufferings." The coldness in Malia's face and voice almost made Mateo worried. Also, her eyes welled up in tears. It was enough for him to realize how much pain his little sister was going through right now.

Although he was worried, Malia was old enough to be protected with these kind of things. He thought, she would not be broken that much because of this. Yumi, after all, had been preparing her all these time.

Maybe it was time for her to become tough on her own.

"Fine. What do you want to do?"

***

Gwen was in terrible situation.

Her body was still in pain after she was  slammed so hard against the wall of that tower.

That slap of Malia on her face wasn't that light too.

But the most painful was her heart.

Ngayong mag-isa siya saka niya napag-isip isip kung gaano kalala ang nagawa niya kanina out of her desperation to save Don Enrico.

She didn't just betray Malia and Yumi today.

She also caused that Kami to die.

Her hands shook as she realized that she murdered that lad.