36: Challenge 3

(A/N: If you still haven't voted to the previous chapters and book 1, baka naman. LOL 😁... Votes help greatly for the story to be found by other readers. So if you can continue voting for this, it will be greatly appreciated. 😉)

"Doña Labella, regarding the challenge of Binibining Agatha and Binibining Helena to me, I also have a proposition to make about that." Yumi said after na makilala ng Doña ang dalawa.

"Go on. Let me hear it."

"Challenging me is quite defeating the purpose of this party of yours, Doña Labella. I don't blame Binibining Agatha and Binibining Helena for thinking that I am available, after all, they receive incorrect news from their sources. Obviously, that report also doesn't cover that fact that I am already betrothed to someone."

"Oh, you are?" Doña Labella couldn't hide her disappointment by that.

"I am, Doña Labella. And I actually really like your speech earlier a lot. I agree, that love is something you pursue and work hard for and if I am a single lady, I will also definitely get ecstatic about going through the challenge to showcase my talent.

"However, I do not want to take the opportunity to do so from those who are available for real. So I want to take a step back on this challenge and propose Ate Victoria and Malia to do it instead."

Agatha was seething after Yumi finished what she was saying. Tch... How crafty this lady was, eh? She easily used their mistakes to get away from their claws.

Helena, on the other hand, was not showing anything on her face but her fingernails were embedded hard on her hands hard, almost caused her flesh to bleed.

"Mama, I think it is disrespectful to reject a challenge." Lavina tried to intervene but Doña Labella had another concern.

"You said you are betrothed but why is your elder sister still single?"

Yumi smiled bashfully.

"I... It just so happened that I found true love first than Ate." There was a blush on her face after that.

Victoria and Malia almost rolled their eyes. If they didn't really know how Yumi was treating Mateo, baka isipin din nila that she and he felt mutual and were very much in love with each other.

Anyhow, these people around them didn't know the real thing so they definitely thought that Yumi and her fianceè were really found true love.

Most of the ladies felt envious because of this.

Most of the men were a bit disappointed.

Helena couldn't hide the jealousy in her eyes anymore. It was no longer just a mouthful of vinegar but rather a whole gallon. Her hate towards Yumi kept on increasing a lot as time passed by.

Meanwhile, Nero and Sancho both clenched their fists secretly under the table.

"I see." Doña Labella even nodded thoughtfully. "Your father seems to be open minded to let you get betrothed first before your older sister."

"Which I am very lucky."

"Who is the fortunate lad anyway? Do we know him? He must be an exceptional man."

Yumi smiled coyly. "Yes, I believe you know him, Doña Labella. My fianceè is Deputy General Mateo Portabello."

Once again, the venue erupted with murmurings of the guests.

Now this was something.

Deputy General Mateo?

He was the kind of lad that even those lads around his age, were idolizing him.

He was very accomplished at a very young age. And his future as the next General of L City was also secured.

And then this...

He happened to be betrothed to the Great General's daughter who also happened to be the most beautiful lady out there.

Anyway, Doña Labella had complicated look for a moment. She was thinking that she could still convince Yumi to change her heart and mind about her betrothal.

After all, she felt as if she just confirmed that for the first time, Nero had finally paid attention to a lady.

She was his mother after all.

She was very sensitive of his action.

And since this young lady stood up from her seat, hindi na naalis ang paningin ng anak niya sa dalaga.

That was definitely telling something to her as a mother.

But now that she found out that her son's competitor was that Deputy General na maging ang asawa niya ay puro papuri lang ang nasasabi dito, she was hesitating now to make a move.

A military man, more so a military leader, was hard to compete with.

They held power of the army. That's not something easy to conquer.

"Doña Labella, what do you think of my proposition? Is it okay for my sister and bestfriend to compete on my behalf?"

"Ah yes, yes... Although it is such a shame that I won't be seeing your talent but you are definitely right. You should really give way to those single ladies."

"Thank you, Doña Labella." Yumi said with a huge smile on her face.

Then she faced Victoria and Malia.

"Good luck, you two. Make me proud, okay?" She told them quietly. The huge smile on her face changed into wicked grin.

Nagkatinginan lang naman ang dalawa.

They would have already scolded Yumi kundi lang sila nasa harapan ng maraming tao ngayon.

Tch, this little devil...

She surely extracted herself in this situation by putting them on hot seat instead.

Anyhow, wala na din naman silang magagawa. They were already here. Might as well they just do their best.

Hindi rin naman nila hahayaang mapahiya sila sa harapan ng mga kapwa kabataan nila na nasa party na ito.

Besides, these ladies obviously wanted to give trouble to Yumi and they tried to humiliate Victoria a while ago. The latter might yield at Yumi but not to these trying hard ladies.

As for Malia, since Yumi said make her proud, then that's what she was going to do.

She had long shed her timidness and if there was anything she would give her all, that's definitely a challenge. Also, she didn't like people who were mean towards Yumi. Since they were trying to harm her, she would definitely make them taste their own medicine.

"S-since it has been decided this way, then let me say the challenge now." Agatha once again spoke. "One will sing while the other dance. In our pairing, Helena will sing while I dance."

"Malia, are you good in singing?" Victoria asked nonchalantly.

"I am great in either." Malia answered confidently. Yumi, upon hearing this, couldn't help smirking. See? This is her lioness.

"Wonderful. Then I will dance while you sing."

"Alright. Let's do that, Victoria."

***