34: Challenged 1

By the time, Victoria, Malia and Yumi entered the venue and found their seats, she had already calmed down. So much for the other two's reliefs.

Anyway, the place was arranged conservatively. The lads and ladies were separated in sitting area.

On right were the ladies and on left were the gentlemen.

There was enough space in the middle but the two areas could still see one another.

This kind of party had obviously a purpose. This was also evident the moment they decided to have a separate venue for the youths.

Doña Labella was apparently trying to play matchmaking with them.

Anyway, at the very front of the ladies' tables were Helena, Agatha and Amara. They were very comfortable sitting at the front. Obviously, that was their seats all the time the Governor General's family had a party. They were considered as VIP guests since they were in the same circle as Lavina and Isabella.

Sa may platform naman kung saan may isa pang mahabang mesa para sa pamilya ng Governor General nakapwesto sila Nero, Lavina at Isabella.

As for Yumi, Victoria and Malia...

They decided to sit at the end of the long table. The spot was inconspicuous. If they would be noticed there, isa lang ang ibig sabihin noon. Someone was intentionally trying to make trouble for them.

***

"Who are those three ladies?"

"They must be new in the city."

"Are they from Great General Vicente's mansion? Ang alam ko dumating na dito sa kapital ang pamilya niya some time ago."

"Oh, you are right. I also heard that news. Maybe they are really his daughter."

"Wow... If that's true, then don't these ladies making the Great General's headache? Just look at how gorgeous they are. Especially the one wearing a red black riding suit. She looks like a goddess."

"I know. And here I thought si Binibining Agatha na ang pinakamagandang dilag na nakita ko. No wonder she was hidden in L City by the Great General."

All of these conversations about Yumi, Victoria and Malia were heard by Nero. These gentlemen didn't lower down their voices so kahit na nasa platform siya nakapwesto, he still heard them loud and clear.

He frowned as he continued to listen to them. He also poured himself a drink then his eyes drifted towards Yumi.

He barely saw her since she was sitting at the far end of the long table. But still he could clearly see her in his head.

That fair skin of hers with...

Cat-like eyes...

Butterfly wings eyelashes...

Well sculpted tiny nose...

Seemingly so soft, red lips...

And of course, her soft body...

At the last thought, Nero gulped down the wine in his cup and asked the wineboy nearby to pour him some once again.

"Kuya, hinayhinay ka lang sa pag-inom mo. Mapapagalitan ka na naman ni Mama." Lavina told him off with a frown.

He scowled at her and simply said, "Mind your own business."

Lavina pursed her lips at hindi na pinansin ang binata. He was always so rogue-like. No wonder, no ladies wanted to be acquainted with him.

And no wonder, their mother had to use this kind of party just to look for someone who would match him.

Tch...

Yes, that's right. This matchmaking party was ultimately for Nero. Sa kanilang magkakapatid, apat na lamang sila na wala pang asawa.

She and Isabella would definitely the last to marry.

Sancho was also still young to get married.

But Nero...

He had long been in the marriageable age yet he never had any romantic relationship with ladies before.

Kaya naman normal lang na mabahala ang ina nila para sa kanya.

So, every year, on her birthday, she would intend to do it like this para makahanap ang binata ng babaeng gugustuhin niyang mapangasawa.

However, Nero was a scary guy for ladies. Even though he was good looking but his always scowling face were causing the ladies to be frightened of him.

Anyway, maya maya lang din ay dumating na si Doña Labella kasama si Sancho.

All of them stood up to greet them.

The doña chuckled and waved her hand to make them sit again.

"Ah... I should have gone here immediately. Fresh faces of the youths are still better than those wrinkly old ones."

This caused the youths laughed.

They were pleased too after being described as fresh faces. The comment, indeed, made the youths comfortable despite having the Doña there.

Anyway, they began to eat as the food was quickly served after doña told her people to do so.

After lunch, the entertainment started.

First, there were the singers alongside the musicians. Everyone enjoyed the great melody and harmony they were playing.

Then there were the actors. They acted a short play which was funny and light at the same time.

These two performances definitely made the surroundings more relaxing. The youths felt very at ease.

After those two entertainments though, the doña began the real purpose of this party.

"Ladies and gentlemen, hindi na ako magpapaligoyligoy pa. Although this is my birthday party, I also aim to play as matchmaker for all of you in terms of this.

"I believe that love is something you have to pursue and work on for it to be really worth it. Hard works always pay off, you know. And it shouldn't be simply left out to fate, that intangible thing.

"So, since everyone of you here are youths, I want to use this birthday party of mine to advocate bond between you all. And if you happen to find a lad or lady you like in this room, just let me know. I am too bored with my life so if I can play as matchmaker to two young individuals, then why not, right?"

This speech of Doña Labella made the youths flustered yet excited at the same time.

Of course, they were aware of the purpose of this party.

They had also already looked at the opposite sex with "prospects" in mind a while ago habang naghihintay sila sa doña.

"Let's do it this way. Let's have a talent contest. Anyone can challenge whoever they want to. Then the winners will receive a token from me.

"Aside from that, the most talented lad and lady will have a privilege to pick a partner and open the dance floor later."

The token and privilege were enough motivations for the youths in the said party. They all agreed at once and waited for the first challenge to come.

***