Side Story 1: Good Karma

Setting: Around the time Yumi took Narcissa under her protection...

"I don't need you here, Rui. Go back to Le Rouge, will you? Nakalimutan mo na bang pangako mo sa akin? You said you will take care of Narcy if I help her. Well, guess what? I have already done my part of the bargain.
Meanwhile, you still haven't done anything at all. You haven't handled her brothers yet and you are not taking care of her. Are you planning to scam me? Because you know, the last time I check, scamming is my job, not yours."

Mahabang sabi ni Yumi kay Rui.

For a while, they stared at each other.

Until finally, Rui couldn't handle it anymore. He left the room through the window.

Several days later though, he found himself standing at one of the thick branches of that large tree na nakapalibot sa palace garden ng Magnolia City, instead of just simply staying at Le Rouge.

He knew what Yumi was doing. However, he couldn't entertain the idea of her matchmaking at the moment.

Not when he was still trapped from the past as what he had discovered after his almost death episode.

Anyway, he roamed his eyes around this garden. He had never been here in Magnolia City before. When Julianna, Symeon and Lancelot arrived here and rescued her people, he was rescuing her father at north. So this place was foreign to him.

But it didn't mean he wouldn't be able to find the people he wanted to see.

Maya maya nga lang din ay nagpakita na ang mga ito.

They looked so content and happy though.

Seemed like he was really the only one who was too strung up to the past. Fortunately, his main purpose for coming here was to see if they were just fine and to finally let go.

Since he confirmed that, he left at once too.

Doon naman napatingin si Julianna sa puno kung nasasaan kanina si Rui. She felt a faint familiar presence there but found no one.

"Mama, anything wrong?" Lana called Julianna's attention.

"Nothing. Let's go to the main palace. Hinihintay na tayo ng Lolo mo."

"Un..."

With the last glance on the tree, Julianna left the garden with Lana.

***

Rui came back to L City with Narcissa's brothers. Hindi magkamayaw ang pasasalamat ng dalaga sa kanya.

He tried to stop her for thanking him too much. After all, he only did that because he promised Yumi that he would take care of her and her brothers.

Sino ba namang mag-aakala that the lady would take advantage of his words?

Eto nga at bigla na lamang niyang nalaman ay kailangan na niyang personal na itrain si Narcissa.

"She needs to toughen up para mapakinabangan ko siya..." Yumi told him when he argued about the sudden setup.

Anyway, in the end, ang nais pa din ng huli ang nanaig.

He began training Narcissa then.

It had been a long time since he trained anyone. Aside from that, this lady was gentler than the last lady he trained. Narcissa didn't even have a background about fighting.

Rui had really no hope na matututo ang dalaga na makipaglaban ng pisikalan. Despite having her mind and heart in the right places, she was still not a cut for this kind of fighting. She was too soft for it, to be honest. Still, he did what he had to do and made a training program for her.

Unexpectedly, Rui had found himself drawn to Narcissa whenever she was training.

She was a hardworker.

She might not have the same strength of Julianna and Yumi but her tenaciousness was on par with them.

He watched her while training but in the end, he couldn't help getting more involved.

Hanggang sa nakita na lamang niya ang sarili na laging sinusubaybayan ang dalaga.

"Hey, you are spacing out." Narcissa got his attention. She just came out from the Governor General mansion since she had just a meeting with Yumi.

Anyway, Rui just waited for her at the carriage.

"Are you done telling Yumi about everything?" He asked as Narcissa was sitting beside him.

"Yes."

"Good. I have arranged for your brothers to train under Xun Bao. They won't be missing you even if we are gone for a while." He told her.

Narcissa raised an eyebrow at him. She was trying to look tough but the blush on her cheeks betrayed her.

"Are we really going to get married without them?"

"Yes."

She looked down for a moment then chuckled.

"Yumi will make a fuss."

"Let her be. She has been manipulating our relationship since the beginning. It is time I make the decision now."

Narcissa was stunned by what Rui had said.

Of course, it also made her heart skipped a beat.

He was never a vocal lover. He showed his affection through actions. This must be the first time that he really said something about what he wanted to do about their relationship.

"Well, if that's what you really want. Just brace yourself. I won't take the blame for this." Sabi ni Narcissa as she leaned on Rui. She was chuckling but her heart was actually brimming with happiness and love. This must be her good karma, eh?

Anyway, Rui held her hand as their carriage move to leave the capital.

-FIN-