Lonely - Mizuki x Reader | KamiHaji

Reader basically takes Nanami's place as Land God n shit.

Also, I fucking love the song above (listen to it if you wanna)

•••

You woke up in a strange and unfamiliar place. It kind of looked like the Mikage Shrine, which you now lived in considering you're the new Land God, but maybe you just haven't seen a lot of shrines and can't tell the difference.

"Oh hey, you're awake!" A happy-sounding voice rang throughout the room. A white-haired man walked in and sat down beside you.

"Uh, yeah. Who are you?" You asked, scooting a little further away from the man.

"Oh, I'm Mizuki. I was the snake you saved yesterday. Thanks for that by the way!" He beamed, "That mark on your arm is from me. It basically takes place of an engagement ring to humans."

He paused to stand up and motioned to the room you were both in before continuing, "Welcome to the Yonomori shrine! This will be your new home."

You hadn't noticed you kept slowly moving away from Mizuki until your back bumped the wall. You frantically glanced around the room, taking note of Mizuki, two others whom you guessed were shrine spirits, a bed, and absolutely nothing else.

Clearing your throat, you replied, "Well, unfortunately, I already have a shrine I live in. In fact, I should probably be heading back there. Y'know, before Tomoe comes to find me."

Standing, you quickly walked out of the room and made your way outside.

Mizuki followed you to the front steps.

"I'm afraid you won't be leaving. Lady Yonomori already gave her blessing for us to marry and this shrine isn't easiest to leave. Meaning you can't escape," his voice deepened as he continued, "Tomoe won't be able to take you from me."

The snake's tone made a chill run down your spine.

You sighed and trudged back into the shrine, passing by a smiling Mizuki. You glanced over to a tapestry. The man beside you must have noticed as he began to speak again.

"Lady Yonomori is very shy. She stays behind that curtain and never talks."

His explanation felt off to you. Your brows furrowed as you made your way to the curtain. Your captor's voice rung out as you pulled back the curtain.

"Don't touch that —!"

All that was behind the curtain was just a pillow situated on an empty chair.

Turning around, you gestured to the chair, your gaze practically asking the man to tell you the truth.

Sighing, the white-haired familiar asked you to follow him to the back of the shrine, to which you did. He guided you to a plum blossom tree.

"Lady Yonomori went into hiding years ago. I haven't heard from her since. But I stayed here at the shrine, waiting for her to return. When she was here, she loved to just sit and admire this tree. I stopped time so the tree will stay like it was when she left, so that when I saw her again, we could admire the blossoms like normal." He sounded sad. You fiddled with your fingers, thinking of a response.

"So you're all alone here?" You asked, watching him nod as his green eyes stayed focused on the tree in front of him. "Listen, Mizuki, I know it must be hard not knowing when or if you'll ever see the person you care so much for again, but kidnapping someone and trying to get them to marry you isn't the way to go about this. I get it, you're lonely. But, I have a home. I'm needed somewhere else. I can't marry you."

The snake looked down to the grass as he listened.

You continued, "However, if you let me go back to the Mikage shrine, you can come visit me whenever you want. Or I can occasionally visit you here. I'll gladly be your friend."

Mizuki's eyes widened. The idea of having a friend for the first time in so long sounded so tempting.

So very tempting.

Taking a slight moment to let out a breath the familiar didn't realize he had been holding, he turned to face you.

"Do you promise? You won't completely abandon me like Lady Yonomori, right?"

You smiled, walking up to him and holding out your pinky.

"I promise."

•••