Taniwha!New Zealand x Reader (part 1)

Taniwha (pronounced "tar-nee-fa") (Maori): a creature of New Zealand that when in the water are seen as whales or very large sharks. Inland Taniwha are thought to look like giant geckos with spikes coming from their backs. Some act as guardians, others are seen as monsters that will kidnap people.

This is gonna be like the Maori before technology. Like all the tribes doing their own thing and all that before the white man showed up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You're out harvesting crops with your family. You've been given the honor of offering the first sweet potato to the Taniwha that protects your tribe.

Once everybody's done, it's time to bring the potato to your tribe's protector. You start your journey to the cave where it resides, many of the people of your village following you. Soon, you come upon the cave in the jungle.

You approach the mouth of the cave, the first sweet potato in your hands. You enter the cave slowly, listening for anything. You keep walking for a little while, then think it might not be here.

Just after you think that, you hear breathing. You bump into something really big. Your eyes adjust to the lack of light and you see it. The Taniwha. It looks like a giant gecko with spikes coming from its back.

It turns its head to you, seemingly assessing you. You remember what you came in here to do and hold out the potato to it. It brings its head close and sniffs the vegetable, then eats it. It then starts sniffing you.

Suddenly, your tribe's protector starts shrinking and changing form. Before you know it, the Taniwha is now a human man about your age. He has short, light brown hair two spirals-shaped ahoges, green eyes and was wearing clothes similar to what your tribe wears. (A/N: I'll let you imagine that part)

He smiles at you while you're staring in amazement at this ability.

"Hello," he says with a smile. "I am Kahurangi. Thank you for the sweet potato. Would you please tell me your name?"

"...(Name.)" you answer, still in awe.

"(Name,) you are a very pretty girl." You start to blush at his comment. "I would like to see you again. Will that be alright?"

"Yes, I think so."

His smile gets bigger. "Would you like to come here tomorrow?"

"Sure."

"(Name,) are you alright in there?!" Calls a familiar voice from the mouth of the cave. It's your best friend.

"See you tomorrow," he says, then walks deeper into the cave. You rejoin your village, still confused by what had just occurred.

"Why were you in there so long?" Asked your mother as you walked back to your family and close friends.

"It was nothing," you tell her. You think about Kahurangi on your walk back to the village. Should I meet him? What would happen to the village if I don't? Would he stop protecting us? You go to your room and lay down on your bed/mat, staring at the ceiling. (A/N: I couldn't find if they had actual beds or used mats or just slept on the floor or what. Bare with me here.) I like the way he smiled at me. He seemed so cheerful. You smile to yourself. Maybe I will visit him tomorrow.