Herne the Hunter!England x Reader (part 2)

You've heard stories about Herne the Hunter before, but you thought he was just a myth.

Herne turns to you. "Are you alright?" He asks you in a London accent.

"Y-Yes. Thank you, Mr. Herne."

"Please don't call me by that name. It brings up painful memories. I go by Arthur now."

"Oh, okay. Thank you, Mr. Arthur."

"Why were they chasing you?"

"There's a war going on. They were trying to capture me."

"I see. Well, it's dangerous to go out now. You can stay here with me for the time being."

You smile at him. "Thank you, Mr. Arthur."

"You don't have to be so formal."

The smile leaves your face. "Sorry."

"I must admit, it's been a long time since I've had company."

"What about the other wild huntsmen?"

"They always go off on their own. Always after something. One time they thought they were after an animal but really it was one of those black rubber circular things you put on your horseless carriages."

You think for a second, then you realize what he's talking about. "I think what you're talking about's called a tire."

"Right. Anyway, it somehow managed to start rolling down a hill and they chased it for a good while."

"They don't really sound like the sharpest tools in the shed."

"By all means, they're not. But they're good men."

You laugh a little bit.

He sits down cross legged on the ground and you sit on the pile of straw that's directly behind you. "So, how do you know my original name?"

"You're kind of an urban legend around here, Arthur. It's said Herne the Hunter guards this forest during winter and times of war. He can be seen riding his horse followed by his demon hounds, an owl, and sometimes his group of wild huntsmen."

"I see."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why did you save me?"

He leans forward, interlocks his fingers and rests his elbows on his knees. "Because spirits can see things about people. I could see you've never done anything too horrible to be chased by an army for, so I thought you were accused of something you didn't do. I don't want anyone to end up the way I did."

You recall the story you were told about him. He was framed for some horrible act against the queen and hung himself because he was afraid of the dishonor since he couldn't prove he didn't do it. "How did you know I was there?"

"That tree you were standing in front of? The one where those soldiers cornered you? That's the tree I took my life at."

So that was Herne's Oak. The real deal. You remember hearing that Herne would hang out around that tree, but nobody had ever figured out exactly which tree it was. Now you know, even though you might not ever find it again.

"Thank you again, Arthur."

"You're welcome."

The two of you keep talking and getting to know each other better until you fall asleep. It takes Arthur by surprise a little, because he almost forgot what sleep was and the fact that living humans need it.

He thinks you look peaceful like this. He brushes a stand of hair from your face and shows a small smile.

I promise they won't ever hurt you, he thinks to himself, then goes to watching over you as you sleep.