Merman!Sealand x Reader (part 2)

Peter follows your gaze to his lower body.

"You're a merman?" You ask.

He smiles really big at you. "Yeah! Isn't it cool?"

You smile too as you look up at his face. "Yeah. I've never met a merman before."

"Well I've never taught a human how to swim, so I guess this is a first for both of us."

You smile turns into a confused expression. "Then how do you know how to teach me how to swim?"

"I've seen other humans swim, so now just kick your...your...what do you call those?" He points at your legs.

"My legs?"

"Yeah! Just kick your legs and use your arms to help keep your head above water! I'm gonna let go of you so you can do this, okay?"

"Okay."

He lets you go and backs up so you have space. You do as he told you. You're doing it! You're treading water!

"Good! Now if you move, you'll be swimming! Try coming over to me."

You lean forward and start moving your arms and legs to propel yourself through the water in his direction.

"Look at me!" You say happily. "I'm swimming, I'm swimming!" You go over and hug Peter, which catches him off guard a little. "Thank you, Peter!"

Peter smiles and hugs you back. "You're welcome, (Name)." Luckily, Peter's tail's the only thing keeping both of your heads above water. You release him from the hug and you two start swimming around together.

"Hey Peter, how do you breathe underwater?" You ask after a while of swimming around. You don't see any gills on him, so you're curious.

"I don't. Merpeople can shut off their lungs, so we don't need to breathe underwater. It's really easy for us to do, but I don't think humans can do it."

"Are there others of you guys?"

"Yeah, tons!"

"Then how do you talk to each other underwater?"

"We use sign language."

Then you notice the position of the sun. "Oh shoot! I need to be getting home! It was nice meeting you, Peter!" You start swimming towards the ladder near the docks.

"Wait!" He calls, causing you to stop and turn around. "Can I see you again?"

You smile at him. "Yeah. I come here everyday, so be here around the same time tomorrow?"

He smiles back. "Okay."

You continue on and go home to your parents asking you why you're soaking wet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Human babies can shut off their lungs in the first few weeks of life. When I found that out I thought, what if mermaids evolved to keep that ability throughout their lives? Assuming humans and mermaids descended from the same species, of course.